replacing ungrounded receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

storeytime

In a house where all of the wiring is ungrounded, what is the best way to replace all of the ungrounded receptacles with grounding receptacles? The house is getting a service upgrade also.

physis

Re: replacing ungrounded receptacles

Take all the walls out and rewire the building. I'm partly kidding.

I'll dig up the link for a recent debate regarding this. I think every possible way of looking at it was covered.

Edit: I guess JW has the link. :)

[ July 11, 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jimwalker

Why do you feel its needed to have grounded receptacles ? If the wires are in good shape why not just install new non grounded outlets?Very little today use the ground prong.But if you want them then get ready for a rewire

physis

People really like to have those replaced with grounding receptacles because it's really very very inconvienient to have to argue with almost everything you have to plug in. And it's so frustrating that home owners really don't care about the potential dangers. And they really don't believe us either because they usually haven't ever seen anything happen from all this grouding mumbo jumbo.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Why do you feel its needed to have grounded receptacles ? If the wires are in good shape why not just install new non grounded outlets?Very little today use the ground prong.But if you want them then get ready for a rewire
it is interesting that more and more electrical appliances do not have a ground wire on them.

i would not be surprised if someone started making double insulated dish washers some day.

jimwalker

Most power tools no longer need the ground.Computers ,microwave,surge protected strips and frigs are about all i know that need the grounds

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

While homeowners commonly seem to believe the 2 wire devices need to automatically be replaced, when presented a per unit cost, and having recovered from blanching, they quickly, in my experience, find the pocketbook wisdom of paying for the new receptacle only at the desktop computer and/or window AC, or similar utilization equipment.

jimwalker

The problem i see far too often is someone changes them to grounded receptacles and do nothing about the missing wire.Another thing i have seen is surge strips pluged into an adapter.They think they protected there electronics :mad: :mad: :mad:

physis

The EGC is a place to try to shunt noise to. Whether that's any better than just shorting it across the supply is questionable.

In reallity filters have to go after the EGC too because if anything it's another avenue for garbage to get to eqipment. So instead of one filter across the line and neutral you'll also need one across the line and the EGC and one across the neutral and EGC.

The only equipment protection you might be able to get from an EGC is against lightning. And good luck with that.

I mean aside from fault clearing. Unless I'm forgetting about something. I'm starting to get old you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.