required exterior gfci receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenwayne

Ok we know there has to be 1 gfci in front of building.1 gfci receptacle in rear and if insstalled 1 gfci for an a/c unit.
What is the opinion of homes that have a main front door on the side of the home as many duplexes do.Print shows one by the door.But the county will not accept that as a required receptacle for the front of the home :roll:
So we have to delete that and move it to within 3 ft. of the closest part of the house that faces the street,or add for no cost the one not on the print.Welcome to pasco county Florida,fastest growing most overwhelmed for inspectors area on this part of the country

physis

Re: required exterior gfci receptacles

Before I actually read the code.

Why should you have to pay for requirments that aren't on the drawings? Seems I could get a whole free house using that technique.

physis

What's the definition of front and back?

Is it relative to the street or the building entrances?

I would think it would be reasonable to simply have a receptacle on either side of the building. What's it for anyway? Weed wackers? There's gonna be a long extention cord anyway, and it's gonna get drug around at least one corner where ever the receptacle goes.

Sometimes I think reason gets dropped from the equation.

bphgravity

Down here in Sarasota County, specifically the city of North Port, we are pretty flexible in regard to this matter. I personaly would permit the recpetacles to be installed near the doors as being the "front" receptacles.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Since two are expected, why not omit the one by the door?

GG

Im with Larry, omit the one by the door and move it to the front of the house. Tell the GC or guy who designed the house to buy a copy of the NEC. :p

marinesgt0411

ask the inspector (nicely) to leave by way of the front door and see which door he leaves by.

then ask him if this is the front door why isn't this the front of the building.

so if I have a duplex and put the receptacle on the front (side faceing the street) instead of by the door which panel do I tie it to. put two receptacles on the front or add a house panel.if I have four units do I need four reseptacles on the front. where does it all end?

physis

210.52(E) only applies to one and two family dwellings.

210.25 handles where the elctricity comes from. 210.52(E) doesn't say what the receptacles are for so my interpretion is that they can be powered by either their respective dwellings or a common area service.

Error A.

[ August 14, 2005, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

jwelectric

(E) Outdoor Outlets. For a one-family dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6? ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and back of the dwelling.
For each dwelling unit of a multifamily dwelling where the dwelling unit is located at grade level and provided with individual exterior entrance/egress, at least one receptacle outlet accessible from grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6? ft) above grade shall be installed. See 210.8(A)(3).
:)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Why should you have to pay for requirements that aren't on the drawings? Seems I could get a whole free house using that technique.
Any prints I have seen always include a catch all statement that all codes will be followed. :p Even if the prints do not follow the code. :roll:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Print shows one by the door.But the county will not accept that as a required receptacle for the front of the home :)

The code doesn't care about doors, it cares about having a receptacle at the front and back of a house.

physis

The code doesn't care about doors, it cares about having a receptacle at the front and back of a house.
The code doesn't care about streets either, it only cares about the front or back of the house. :p
___________________________________________________________________________________________

JW, is your 210.52(E) 2005? Mine doesn't have this:

For each dwelling unit of a multifamily dwelling where the dwelling unit is located at grade level and provided with individual exterior entrance/egress, at least one receptacle outlet accessible from grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6? ft) above grade shall be installed. See 210.8(A)(3).
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Any prints I have seen always include a catch all statement that all codes will be followed. :p Even if the prints do not follow the code. :roll:
Alright, free house
party-smiley-018.gif

allenwayne

I agree that the one by the door should cover the one for the front of the home this all started with a letter from the county recieved 10 /1 /04.It included this as one of the required gfci`s on a home.
This pertains to mostly maintance free 55+ villas being built by the 1000`s right now.Have you ever tried to explain to an 75 year old person why there neighbor down the street can plug in their christmas lights and never step off the porch and they have to get shoes on to do the same thing but have to step in the gareden :roll: :eek: This is cookie cutter housing at its best.No deviation of recep placement no changing where switches go even though framed so you can`t get there from here.

allenwayne

HIT WRONG KEY :eek: Who here can say that they will forsee about 3 ,250 homes by december.Thats almost 2 complete homes /day Slab roughed and trimmed :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen,
HIT WRONG KEY :eek: Who here can say that they will forsee about 3 ,250 homes by december.Thats almost 2 complete homes /day Slab roughed and trimmed :cool:

Regarding your earlier post , if a local amendment is formal, why do you have a problem with it?

All your competition will have to do the same thing, and if this 75 year old, or even a 25 year old, wants the convenience the people down the street have they can pay you to add a receptacle. :roll:

Roger

peter d

Who here can say that they will forsee about 3 ,250 homes by december.Thats almost 2 complete homes /day Slab roughed and trimmed :roll:
Allen, there are a lot of guys on the West Coast with backlogs like that. And while we don't see that kind of volume in the Northeast, many new homes are sold in within the first week of being on the market, many are sold before construction is complete. Point is, while there's plenty of work available east to west, and money to be made, why are you complaining?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Allen, I have never seen a code adaption impinge on existing construction. A job, from start to finish, should always be covered by the code in effect at the time of issuance of the permit.

I hurt my mental tongtue typing that! :p

allenwayne

All I can say is welcome to my world.If finaled after the date in this case after 1/1/05 but roughed before change then eat dirt and add the receptacle is what we were told :roll:

be4jc

FRONT OF LOT Definition 97 UBC: is the front boundry line of a lot bordering on the STREET and, in the case of a corner lot, may be either frontage. ;)

[ August 16, 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: be4jc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.