Required light switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan316

We have a warehouse that has an entrance door from the office, and a second door that allows access from the outside. These two doors are about 70 feet apart. Next to the second door, is a large "rollie" type door to allow vehicle access. The only light switches for the warehouse lighting are located next to the entrance from the office. Do you know of any code that requires a light switch at that 2nd exterior door? That door is used quite a bit. I can find codes that pertain to switches in a residence, but I am not having much luck in the commercial area.

Thank you

ryan_618

Re: Required light switches

Actually Pierre, there are none that I'm aware of.

The only thing I could think of is NEC 210.63(?) near HVAC equipment in attics(?)

Sorry, no help here :confused:

pierre

In the residential ICC, it designates some switch locations, I am not sure about the building code for other than dwelling units though.

Actually the Energy Conservation Construction Code does say in commercial spaces of 250 sq ft or more in buildings of 5000 sq ft that a switch(s) is to be located by the entrance to the room.

Pierre

earlydean

Section 1006 of the International Building Code requires all routes of egress to have a low level of lighting (1 footcandle) whenever the building is occupied. A building is occupied whenever someone shows up and enters the building. If the door in question is used for entry when the lights are off, then a control needs to be placed there for egress lighting throughout the building.

BTW, egress lighting includes the exit discharge, which means a clear path all the way to a public way must be illuminated, whenever a building is occupied.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by earlydean:
If the door in question is used for entry when the lights are off, then a control needs to be placed there for egress lighting throughout the building.
Earl does the code say the switch is require or are you just using common sense.

I can only speak for the states I work in but there are no requirements for commercial switches.

When was the last time you saw light switches at the door of a large retail store?

Perhaps the reason is the night lights that stay on provide the egress lighting Earl speaks of.

We work for a large chain department store the last person out the employee door hits a key switch and the place goes 100% dark, exit signs, night lights, outlets for displays the place is dark as a mine. :eek:

A trip of the fire alarm system brings the lights back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.