Required or not required that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_42

I have mcc with c/b feeds VFD. VFD is getting ISO trans in front of it. Going to pipe to and from mcc into adjacent room to ISO trans (480 delta to 480 wye) location using 2" rigid. VFD is in sight of mcc, ISO trans is not. What requirements if any for disconnect? Either on primary or secondary? I hear different interpretations of article 240 & 450.

I am looking for interpretations/opinions/explanations of the codes....thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have mcc with c/b feeds VFD. VFD is getting ISO trans in front of it. Going to pipe to and from mcc into adjacent room to ISO trans (480 delta to 480 wye) location using 2" rigid. VFD is in sight of mcc, ISO trans is not. What requirements if any for disconnect? Either on primary or secondary? I hear different interpretations of article 240 & 450.

I am looking for interpretations/opinions/explanations of the codes....thanks
The location of the primary disconnect must be posted at the transformer, (450.14 in the 2011 code) it is not required to be within sight from the transformer. The secondary conductors will need to be protected per one of the rules in 240.21(C). This may require the secondary conductor OCPD to be located within sight of the transformer, but not because it has to be within sight, rather because of the maximum permitted length of the secondary conductor between the transformer and the OCPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.