required outdoor receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

necbuff

If you have a receptacle on the rear of a house that is on a deck 15'above grade but has grade level access, steps from deck to gound, is this code compliant or would you need a receptacle with 6'6 of actual grade level. This is a topic of great debate.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: required outdoor receptacles

I don't see how this can be debated:
"(E) Outdoor Outlets. For a one-family dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6? ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and back of the dwelling. See 210.8(A)(3)."
The receptacle has to be with in 6 1/2 ft of grade.

B

bthielen

On a similar note, we had a discussion the other day about placing receptacles under the eves of a house to provide access for X-mas lights, eve deicing heaters, etc. I haven't been able to find any specific references to this. Is this a permitted application?

Thanks,

Bob

ryan_618

I agree with Tom.

Bob: The installation you are talking about is perfectly legal, and is in fact very popular, at least in my neck of the woods.

jimwalker

yes you can have them but they are in addition and i believe are now gfci protected as well.Usually they will be on a switch ot timer as well

[ July 13, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

necbuff

I agree, it has to be within 6.5 PERIOD! But it is not seen that way alot of the times around here. The argument is it is accessible FROM grade and not over 6'6 high (from the deck floor). I think this is a no-brainer. Just wanted to get other opinions.

hurk27

Also when placing outdoor receptacles keep in mind about the required service receptacle for the A/C unit, as you can kill two birds with one stone by placing it within 25' of the A/C condenser.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

On another note.If in the eves than an in use cover is required.Christmas lights stay plugged in especially if on a switch.

hurk27

Allen would you think under the eve is a wet location? I would think it is a damp one but inuse covers are not required for damp locations?
Maybe I'm thinking wrong.

B

bthielen

My argument in our discussion was that it would be acceptable and perhaps even preferred, logic being that it would eliminate or reduce the incidence of extension cords. I like the idea of using a switched circuit, at least for half of the duplex receptacles. This would make it easy to use them for lights that could be turned off without using a ladder to reach the receptacle for unplugging them. Probably safer this way too. Leaving some full-time live is handy for devices that one may wish to leave on continuously, such as eve heaters for controlling ice build-up.

I had decided to try and find the answer in the code book and didn't find anything that forbid it and wanted a second opinion.

Thanks,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.