Required receptacle at rooftop A/c unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC 210.63 requires a 15 or 20 amp receptacle for service techs. within 25ft. of a rooftop ac unit located on the same level. I have been told that there was an amendment to this which states that this only pertains to new installs,not replacement of a existing one . Any help with this one?

iwire

Staff member
There are no NEC exceptions to that.

However the NEC is not retroactive.

In short the only person that can answer that is your local AHJ.

bstoin

Where I live, the inspectors always make us "bring it up to code." So if I happen to be replacing the disconnect or even reconnecting a replacement AC unit, etc. and it is a permitted job, we invariably will have to install an outlet if one does not exist.

Bea

There is an exception to 210.63 for swamp coolers for one and two family dwellings not requiring the servicing receptacle

I agree with Bob Iwire that it is up to the AHJ in our office as long as there is not a new circuit provide to the heat pump or AC unit we would not require a servicing receptacle to be installed.

hvac receptacle

hvac receptacle

Guys I found it. After I posted the question I went back to the "VICTIM" and asked for proof in writing. He faxed me 2 pages from a apparent electrical code. The section pertaining to a amendment to 210.63 was numbered as 23.10.330. A google search on this number revealed that this person was attempting to pass off the Electrical Code of Lincoln Nebraska as a amendment that had been nationally adopted. Lincolns ammendment does not require a receptacle to be installed if the a/c unit was existing and only being replaced. I guess as a new inspector I need to watch for slick "VICTIMS" like this. I do not inspect in Lincoln Nebraska,the victim will be installing a new receptacle as per 210.63 of the NEC.

Thanks for all your help guys,
this website is a invaluable tool!!

Status
Not open for further replies.