Required swithing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

electricalperson said:
even in residential you dont need a switch at a door? i never known that. now i need to search my code book

No, switches are not required at doors... use the breakers if you want, I find that one a pretty tuff sell to even the cheapest customer... :)

electricalperson

stickboy1375 said:
No, switches are not required at doors... use the breakers if you want, I find that one a pretty tuff sell to even the cheapest customer... :)
i learn something new every day. even if its not required its still the best practice. in commercial buildings we use breakers for switches all the time but recently we've been adding switches at the door. i guess customers dont like walking blindly through a warehouse to turn the lights on

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
No, switches are not required at doors... use the breakers if you want,

Hold on there, :smile: the NEC does require wall switches.

IMO it would be a hard sell to say a breaker is a wall switch. :grin:

nakulak

switches are required:

-upon entering a crawl space or attic requiring a fixture (contains electrical equip)
-upon entering elevator machine room and elevator pit

don't remember what else
(I'll let you look up the code sections - the elevator might be in ansi, but I'm sure the other one is nec ?)

iwire

Staff member
electricalperson said:
what about article 210-70? that article talks about wall switches controlling lights. i guess the code doesn't require the switch to be near the door?

It literally does not even require the switch to be in the room.

You could put almost all the wall switches in one location for the whole house, but you would not get much repeat business. :grin:

We should also keep in mind the OPs question was about a commercial space and there are even less requirements for non-dwelling units.

electricalperson

stickboy1375 said:
Sorry, not sure what your trying to tell me.
2.10.70 (A) (1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

thats what im talking about. it mentions the lighting outlet needs to be controlled by a wall switch. it doesnt say where it has to be installed. thats what im saying.
i always used to think that the switch had to be near the door. only code article that mentions switches required near the point of entry is 210.70 (A) (3) Storage or equipment spaces

and 210.70 (C) Other than dwelling units.

Status
Not open for further replies.