Requirement for Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbtim

Hello,

My name is Tim and I'm not an electrician. I'm doing research on a fire tragedy that happened in Kentucky in 1977. My research deals with building code and fire code violations in the building that burned killing 167 people. One of the documented violations was the use of aluminum wiring that was not run in conduit. I did some research in the California Electrical Code book and could not find the section that deals with this.

The building type was an Assembly Occupancy (A-2).
If this building was brought up to current NEC standards, would aluminum wiring be allowed, and would the wiring have to be run in conduit through the walls? If aluminum wiring is not allowed and conduit is required, could you please cite the sections dealing with these requirements.

I would appreciated any help.

Thanks,
Tim

rb

Re: Requirement for Conduit

Tim,

Article 310.2(b) allows conductors to be aluminum,
copper-clad aluminum, or copper.

As far as wiring methods in places of assembly, 518.4(a) requires the fixed wiring methods in places of assembly to be in metal raceways, flexible metal raceways, or nonmetallic raceways enclosed in two inches of concrete, Type MC, MI, or AC cable with an insulated equipment grounding conductor sized per 250.122.

518.4(b) permits nonmetallic sheathed cable (Type III, IV, and V construction only per 334.10), Type AC cable, electrical nonmetallic tubing, and rigid nonmetallic conduit in buildings or areas of buildings that are not required to be of fire rated construction.

518.4(c) Permits electrical nonmetallic tubing and rigid nonmetallic conduit in drinking establishments and dining facilities where located behind walls, floors or ceilings with a minimum 15 minute finish rating. If this facility has a stage 518.4(c) is not applicable.

To answer your question. Aluminum wiring is permitted (unless prohibited by local codes)and in most cases either a metal raceway or a metal clad or armoured cable is required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Requirement for Conduit

Tim,
Where did you find information that the wiring was not in conduit? I don't remember reading that anywhere. It does appear that the fire was electrical in origin and the aluminum wiring was involved, but there were many other factors and building code violations that resulted in the tragic loss of life. Probably the biggest factor in the large number of people who perished was the fact that the fire was not reported to a fire department and the evacuation of the building did not occur until 15 minutes after it was discovered. Some of the other violations involved building finishes with a higher flame spread, too few exits, and improper marking of exits. The NFPA report of this fire is online.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.