Requirements for Solid State Devices in Class I, Div 2 locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

I'm thinking that the NEC permits the us of solid state devices in general purpose enclosures. I thought it might be because they're considered "Non Arcing" devices, but I'm not sure, nor do I know where in Article 500 I might find the code to either permit, or prohibit their use in this fashion.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I'm thinking that the NEC permits the us of solid state devices in general purpose enclosures. I thought it might be because they're considered "Non Arcing" devices, but I'm not sure, nor do I know where in Article 500 I might find the code to either permit, or prohibit their use in this fashion. ...

Yes
couple of places to look:
500.8.A Equipment
500.8.B.3
501.115.B.1.4

Are you looking at assembling your own equipment - where you pick the enclosure and you select the components?

If so, this is not an area where I would recommend DIY engineering per MH forum. Highly recommend you read these sections and see if you are comfortable.

As an example, other than J-boxes with terminals, the AHJ I'm dealing with wants to see listed or labeled with marking per 500.8.C.

ice

DM2-Inc

I looked through your suggested references (2011 edition) and went to 501.130(B)(1)
Luminaires. Where lamps are of a size or type that may, under normal operating conditions, reach surface temperatures exceeding 80 percent of the ignition temperature in degrees Celsius of the gas or vapor involved, luminaires shall comply with 501.130(A)(1) or shall be of a type that has been tested in order to determine the marked operating temperature or temperature class (T Code).​

So if an LED sign have a tested output less than "...80 percent of the ignition temperature...", it doesn't have to be certified for hazardous locations?

This isn't something we're planning on building, but rather am looking for a sign with custom text, that is suitable for hazardous locations.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
It appears you have decided on a path and are looking for conformation. I can't help there - other than to suggest reading my first post.

Hummm ... Maybe two other suggestions:

Now that we know you want to use an LED sign and call it a "luminaire", perhaps also look at 410.6 and 600.3 (2011 NEC.

ice

I looked through your suggested references (2011 edition) and went to 501.130(B)(1)
Luminaires. Where lamps are of a size or type that may, under normal operating conditions, reach surface temperatures exceeding 80 percent of the ignition temperature in degrees Celsius of the gas or vapor involved, luminaires shall comply with 501.130(A)(1) or shall be of a type that has been tested in order to determine the marked operating temperature or temperature class (T Code).​

So if an LED sign have a tested output less than "...80 percent of the ignition temperature...", it doesn't have to be certified for hazardous locations?

This isn't something we're planning on building, but rather am looking for a sign with custom text, that is suitable for hazardous locations.

It has to be tested and labeled for Class I, Div. 2, Group _ and shall also have a T-rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.