residental hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaijin57

how many residental hours do i need for the journeymens exam?
I have 12 yrs of commercial/industrail exp. hope this was the right place for this. any help would be greatly apprecaited. thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This would depend on where you are, different areas have different rules.

Roger

Kdog76

Here in WI, its 5000 hours, with no more then 1000 hours to show in each year. Technically can be done in 4 1/2 years. I would check with the state / city in which you live.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

EBFD6

As others have said, it depends on where you are.

I have been doing this for 11 years, been licensed for 7 years, and have 0 hrs of residential experience (well other than a couple of small side jobs). I do commercial/industrial only, and Massachusetts only requires 8000 hrs of work experience to take the test, they don't break it down into categories.

e57

California is 8000 for General and 4800 for Resi.
The resi clasification is worthless IMO. Sans any enforcement it is purley a waste of time and money. If you're going to get certified in CA - skip the resi classification and go straight to General. Two reasons - once locked in resi you need to get out of it, meaning you have to get a wider set of experiance not available in residential (thier way of keeping you down....) - and if you have a General your job prospects are wider since you can do both resi and commercial. (The info above is for California only - other places differ widely.)

As others have said, it depends on where you are.

I have been doing this for 11 years, been licensed for 7 years, and have 0 hrs of residential experience (well other than a couple of small side jobs). I do commercial/industrial only, and Massachusetts only requires 8000 hrs of work experience to take the test, they don't break it down into categories.

VT is very close to Ma. 8000hrs-4 yrs school (5 if Union) and state test. During your apprenticeship your supposed to fill out a little book, at least you had to 10yrs ago, about your work experience each day and have your forum sign you off on it. Then that book I beleive gets turned into the State Apprenticeship program for review.

If your state doesn't have a state apprenticeship program either move to one that does or go find your Union Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.