Residential bonding to the GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Mr. Inspector has flagged the use of the in house copper water lines to attach the grounding lugs for my two breaker panels (2 apartments with their panels in the same cellar space). Wants me to install a "grounding block" in one of the boxes to provide the necessary 3 lugs to terminate the external GECs, the water lines and the 2nd box. Is this code required?
Additionally, he has requested that a light be installed by the boxes, NEC code required?
Thank you.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Re: Residential bonding to the GEC

Maybe this could be made clearer:
I have installed 2 8' grnd rods outside this resdience. Landed the #4 bare stranded cu from the grnd rods onto the water line in the basement. Ran #4 bare stranded cu from my two breaker boxes to the water line.
Inspector says no-no; land the #4 stranded from the grnd rods in the breaker panels. Then bond the breaker panels to the water lines. Is there a NEC code reference that requires this??

Thank you,

physis

If the water pipe is bonded within five feet of entrance to the building and is in direct contact with the earth for 10 feet then it qualifies as grounding electrode and he can't tell you which electrode to go to first. 250.64(F)

The lighting requirement is where you'd expect to find it. In article 210 for branch circuits. :confused: 210.70(A)(3).

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

Thanks for the reponses.
I failed to bond the water line within 5' of the point of entry. I hope to have a reasonable discussion wtih the inspector on our second inspection.
Thank you again.

Joe

physis

That's a better one. Thanks Dave.

I spent considerable effort looking for it.

I have a giant burr in my behind over how difficult is in a lot of cases to find a relevant code section.

I think it's simply something that should be fixed.

Edit: Error B

[ August 02, 2005, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
I have a giant burr in my behind over how difficult is in a lot of cases to find a relevant code section.

I think it's simply something that should be fixed.
Which needs to be fixed, the NEC or the burr in your behind? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.