residential electrical panel main disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanlee

If the home is built in 1960 in California,
what is the requirement for a main disconnect in the electrical panel? Is this necessary or a code requirement or is it grandfathered-in at this point as a code satisfaction?

karl riley

Re: residential electrical panel main disconnect

The main disconnect can consist of 6 or less breakers. The inspector must know this.
Karl

luke warmwater

Because of the 6 disconnect rule as Karl stated, you might not have one 'main' breaker. My house was built in the 70's and my panel doesn't have a 'main', it is a GE split bus panel. If you have a split bus panel, there shouldn't be more than 6 throws in the top half to shut everything off.

bennie

Esteemed Member

For residential wiring, California State has never allowed 6 disconnects, that I can recall. One main, ahead of everything.

alanlee

What literature can i go into to confirm about the main disconnect and 6 breaker rules?

bennie

Esteemed Member

Alan: You need to contact the California State Electrical Safety Division.

In 1960 California did not adopt the NEC. They had codes that were more stringent.

pierre

Hello Tom,

For a point of reference(too lazy to look myself at the moment), where can I find that in the NEC?
These forums are such a wealth of information from people with experience, it should be part of a training requirement for CEU's

Thanks,

Pierre

bennie

Esteemed Member

I have installed split bus panels. When electric heat become popular, the split bus panel did not work. The lighting main often was overloaded.
This main could not easily be changed to a larger breaker.

I always thought the demise of the panels was a marketing decision by NEMA, not a code requirement. The panels were just not effective with the change in domestic loads.

I am not aware of a code section that forbids the panels. You just can't buy one anymore.

[ June 12, 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

charlie

408.16 Overcurrent Protection.
(A) Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard Individually Protected.
Each lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard shall be individually protected on the supply side by not more than two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.
Exception No. 2: For existing installations, individual protection for lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboards shall not be required where such panelboards are used as service equipment in supplying an individual residential occupancy.

Comment from the NEC Handbook:
The phrase ?for existing installations? in Exception No. 2 refers to the existing panelboard. It is not intended that a split-bus panelboard used in an individual residential occupancy be replaced if a circuit is added to the existing panelboard. It does mean, however, that for the installation of new panelboards in new or existing residential occupancies, a split-bus six-disconnect panelboard (with more than two circuit breakers or sets of fuses protecting the panelboard) is not permitted for the service equipment.
An individual residential occupancy could be a dwelling unit in a multifamily dwelling where the panelboard is used as service equipment. See the definition of dwelling unit in Article 100.
The handbook has drawings as well. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.