Residential Electrical Service Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cce

Hello
I have some code questions about residential services.
Most of the services in my area are pole mounted. Its a rural farming area and most homes are always away from the power lines. The utility will allow 150’ for a overhead utility service drop. Usually the utility will get the power in 150 feet and then you will see a meter disconnect. After this point it becomes the owners responsibility. In most cases the owner will come out of the main breaker in the meter and will go underground to the home being feed.
Question #1 What do you call these underground conductors? My understanding is that a lateral is unfused from the utility to the service equipment. Also, service-entrance conductors are the supply conductors between the point of connection to the service drop or service-laterals conductors and the service equipment. So, the conductors coming out of the outside meter main going underground to the house must be feeders. So, the meter main must be my main disconnect.
Question #2 My main service disconnect conformoning to 230.70 must be inside the building at the nearest point of entrance of the service conductors or outside the building on or within site of the building. Is not my meter main my main disconnect? I should be able to go underground to the house and continue into my panel, where ever it may be. 230.70 A1 states that the conductors must stay as short as possible and be inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors. This should haves no relevance to me. I am already fused at the pole. Is this correct?
Question #3. If all this being said is true, what is a readily accessible location of the Main disconnect. My Electrical Wiring Residential Delmar book says within site of the house. My friends house has a pole mounted meter main 700 feet away from the house and it goes over a bit of a rise. From the Pole, you can see the top of the house, that is it. Also, this house is fed with three wire USE underground. They have bonded the ground and the neutral at the panel and have driven a ground rod. There is no other paths of ground back to the meter except the neutral. This panel is inside the house and not on the outside wall. This can not be legal.
When I have powered up another building from the same service, I have always treated the conductors leaving the first building as a feeder and have treated the same conductors, when they arrive at the second building as service-entrance conductors and terminated in service equipment. This is almost the same. The electrician that wired the house I am talking about could have only bonded the neutrals and the grounds together at the panel inside if #1 the panel had a main disconnect, and #2 it was at the closest point to the service conductors. What is right?
Sorry this is so long winded, but as you can see I think I thought myself into a corner and cannot get back out!

david

Re: Residential Electrical Service Question

What you are talking about can be describe as a central distribution. The rules for this kind of set up have gone through some recent changes. You do need a service disconnect for the house and it should be the closes place possible upon the conductors entering the house.

The way I see it if you run a four wire from the pole disconnect to the service panel in the house you do not bond the grounded (neutral) conductor to the equipment ground. You would have a separate grounding bar that would be bonded to the panel and a grounding electrode conductor would be connected to the equipment ground via the separate grounding conductor bar.Keep all grounded (neutral) conductors separate from the equipment grounding conductors

If you run a three conductor from the pole disconnect to the service panel in the house you would treat this as any other service
Bond the neutral to the equipment ground and the panel. Bond all available grounding electrodes to the neutral via the grounded bar or to a properly bonded equipment grounding bar.

[ March 08, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: david ]

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

One thing you need to be aware of is that even when a building is supplied via a feeder it still must have a building disconnecting means. That building disconnecting means is required to meat all of the requirements for service disconecting means.
--
Tom

225.31 Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.
225.32 Location.
The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be permitted to be utilized.
225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment.
The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.

charlie

Also, since this is not a farmstead, you are not required to install a disconnecting means at the cash register . . . UH . . . meter. If you do not, then the conductors that continue to the home are service lateral conductors. :D

luke warmwater

#1. correct
#2. See Tom's post
#3. 700ft. in sight maybe with binoculars. Also read Article 100 Definitions, In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). (50ft.) Could have used 3-wire from Meter (See Charlie's post) to Disconnect Within Sight of house(or on house)and 4-wire to house.

david

Its a rural farming area and most homes are always away from the power lines.--------------------------------- In most cases the owner will come out of the main breaker in the meter and will go underground to the home being feed?

charlie :

I?m not sure if the homes in question are farmsteads or not, you are correct, if they are not then there is no need for a disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.