Residential Fuseless A/C Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumathum

I have an inspector telling me that because the nameplate on the condensing unit calls out for a max fuse size that we are required to use a fused disconnect. It also calls out a max breaker size and that is what I am using as my over current protection in this situation. I find nothing in the code relating to fuseless disconnects. Any advice?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are correct. The old units used to say max fuse-- thus you had to use a fusible disco but the newer units say max fuse or HVAR breaker. I think those are the letters. The CB must be of that style.

charlie

. . . now if I can only remember it
Remember a hack doing work, hence hacker (what I generally think of when an HVAC guy is installing a circuit), or HACR. Not intending to put an electrically qualified HVAC guy down but I have seen a lot of hack jobs that unqualified HVAC guys have done. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Remember a hack doing work, hence hacker (what I generally think of when an HVAC guy is installing a circuit), or HACR. Not intending to put an electrically qualified HVAC guy down but I have seen a lot of hack jobs that unqualified HVAC guys have done. :)

I will give that a try but if I forget again then it will be your fault. :grin:
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.