Residential Gas meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASG is HUGE

There seems to be confusion between Utility standards, the Gas code, and the NEC around the classifications of these areas. Specifically, the area in close proximity to outdoor residential gas meters and pressure regulators.

Can someone give me the NEC interpretation of the classification of the areas immediately surrounding a residential gas meter and regulator?

thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ASG is HUGE said:
There seems to be confusion between Utility standards, the Gas code, and the NEC around the classifications of these areas. Specifically, the area in close proximity to outdoor residential gas meters and pressure regulators.

Can someone give me the NEC interpretation of the classification of the areas immediately surrounding a residential gas meter and regulator?

thanks

I don't think there is a NEC regulation on the gas meter other than bonding of the pipes. Usually the gas company determines distance the electrical must be from the meter. Here they want 3 feet clearance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think the question has to do with whether the area near a gas meter would be classified as a hazardous area, per 500. I think not, but I do not know for certain.

nakulak

I have always considered the area arount the gas vent (pressure reguluator relief valve) to be a class I div II area, and I stay away from the area at all cost. whether or not I'm an idiot is another question entirely.

bobgorno

NFPA 58 (2008) National LPG Code there are 50 instances of the word "electrical".

Table 6.22.2.2 covers Electrical Area Classification

However, 6.22.2.4 says: The provisions of 6.22.2.2 shall not apply to fixed
electrical equipment at residential or commercial installations
of LP-Gas systems or to systems covered by Section 6.23.

You'll need to look at the standard in the context of your application to be sure.

Happy hunting.

charlie

bobgorno said:
. . . You'll need to look at the standard in the context of your application . . .
Absolutely. Also, the various Codes that have been quoted only apply to the load side of the service point. In other words, the comments about the utilities (gas and electric) having their own standards are correct (it is just that they interpret and follow different codes than you follow but may reference or follow the same ones). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.