residential hallway receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Would anyone think that an outlet would be required on the wall that the switches are on in the bathroom? When does this hallway not become a hallway anymore? I have an outlet in the hallway right where it is marked on the plans. Last I knew only one was required per hallway over 10'

Attachments

• IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 0

nickelec

IMO not required but I would put one anyway if all the walls are open and it's new construction the cost is cheap enough to save you the headache in the future . Leaving it up to inspectors interpretation

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are you suggesting that an inspector may argue that the 2-3' niche outside the bathroom door constitutes a separate hallway, or even a room?

crtemp

Are you suggesting that an inspector may argue that the 2-3' niche outside the bathroom door constitutes a separate hallway, or even a room?
The inspector tagged it today. I've wired that model at least 80 times and its never been an issue until now.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In order for the inspector to require an outlet there that section of hallway would have to be 10' long

(H) Hallways. In dwelling units, hallways of 3.0 m (10 ft)
or more in length shall have at least one receptacle outlet.
As used in this subsection, the hallway length shall be
considered the length along the centerline of the hallway
without passing through a doorway

user 100

Could be that he believes it really is 3 feet, overlooking the little "m" and the "10 ft" in parenthesis in the 210.52 section posted above by Dennis Alwon.

Imo, its not a big deal but the inspector still needs to be shown the section.

kwired

Electron manager
If totally my design, I'd probably put one in the place in question and possibly not put one where there is one shown on the print.

The "hallway" only needs one receptacle to meet code.

Status
Not open for further replies.