Residential HVAC air handler disconnedt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcmihalich

It is generally accepted in our area to use the branch circuit breaker located in the panel in the garage adjacent to the air handler,(even for those with internal 240 volt heating elements)as the disconnecting means. What code section(s) allow this?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Residential HVAC air handler disconnedt

As far as the NEC goes .As long as it is within line of sight it`s OK,But mechanical code may be a problem.We have one area where Nec says its ok to use panel as disc., But mechanical code says a disc. will be adjacent to unit.So here we are ruled by other trades codes

jimwalker

Ryan, pretty sure its in the AC code.They really push it down here.Check it out ,you could slam them with red tags LOL naaah your not that kind of guy

[ February 18, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

drg

I would say article 430.102(A)applies here and in summary "in sight and within sight" means 50ft.

John
open for opinion on this.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Never heard of that requirement. Around here when combo meter-mains are on outside of house, no disco is provided for condensing unit if within sight of service.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Ryan,
I don't believe that Article 440 applies here. In my opinion 440 is limited to the motor that drives the compressor. If the equipment in question is an "air handler", then 430, not 440, would apply. Look at 440.3(B).
Don

ryan_618

Hi Don. I think you may be right on that. I am so used to seeing A/C compressor units here, that I ran right past the term "air handler" in the post.

I have only seen air handlers on commercial jobs. Is it common for these to be installed in residential applications?

drg

I have seen these air handleing units on the last few res. jobs that I have been on.
These homes have been customs with geo-thermal or in floor heating systems.

Joh

robbover

NEC 2002 430.102-(B) requires that the disconnecting means be within site of the motor location. Therefore the circuit breaker in the garage panel dose not comply with this code section. A disconnect switch must be installed outside on the AHU or outside within site of the unit. Also, a GFI duplex receptacle install within a weatherproof housing must be installed outside within 25' the AHU.

drg

I do not see any reference to 25 ft , could you please tell where you are getting that from??

john

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

John, that would be 210.63

Roger

drg

Alright..... I learned something here today on my time off work, I have always used the article 100 "in sight from" references.

John,
Thanks
:)

jimwalker

In Florida i would say 95 %of new homes have separate comp. and air handlers.
And we can not ignore other codes.Its been widely enforced to have disco within 6 feet,and it makes since from safety to work on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.