Residential light pole base

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I noticed that some light poles on commercial parking light have concrete base that elevates them from floor like this:

However, residential light poles do not have them like this:

I heard pole base foundation are installed so water does not get into pole and for safety reason. How can residential poles avoid such water getting into them without pole base foundation? Should residential pole also have base foundation?

Aledrell

I’m not a diehard commercial guy but I have had some experience. I think it’s due more to vehicular traffic safety. I’ve had to replace light pole in church parking lots bc that’s where the teenagers would do doughnuts and smashed into a pole. It didn’t have a raised based. They then hit again after we replaced it with a raised concrete base and it now leans a little but it’s still standing. Wish I could see what it did to the truck or car.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wow!
You mean to say that folks follow different requirements when installing a 50ft light pole in a commercial parking lot than they do at the end of ma-maw's driveway. A shocker !!!!
If it makes you happy, here's Home Depot instructions

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If we set light poles in a parking lot area we install our lights on 30” concrete bases.
Mainly for the reason Aledrell already mentioned.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Post #1 I don’t mean residential as in driveway. I mean residential street light one installs for neighborhood. We have new townhome community being built and this is commercial/residential in that light poles are for interior community not for ones driveway or home post #1.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Water has nothing to do with it. If water was a concern post bases in coastal areas would be on 12, 13, 14, foot bases or even higher. Just send the plans on up the line, don't waste any more time on it.

Roger

josiahcarlson

Like most things near a street they are designed to break when hit to cause the least amount of damage. Like road signs on wooden posts with holes drilled in the base so they break away when hit.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most commercial pole bases are wind rated. Most of the ones I have installed are usually 6-8' deep. They are not designed to break away. Only poles along streets are designed to be breakaway due to the higher collision speeds, and the base is flush with the ground. (The pole breaks away) I had one plan reviewer demand straight anchor bolts be used, saying it was stronger. Apparently thats how they do it in California. (Where he was from) Had to special order the bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.