Residential Panel Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcho

I'm curious about what you guys think here. I recently toured a log cabin in Montana, and noticed that the main panel was installed in a lower floor bedroom behind where the door swings when opened. I guess the owner wanted it that way so pictures could be hung on the wall and not have the obstruction of the panel. Framed walls in this house are at a premium, and the owner didn't want the panel located at the end of the hallway. The question is, it appeared to have more that sufficient working clearances when the door to the bedroom was closed (obviously) but what about when it was being serviced, and somebody opened the door into the electrician? I'm sure it's kind of a goofy question, but I have never really seen it done this way. What do you guys think? NOTE! This home was still in the rough in stages and the electrical inspection had not been completed yet.

jwelectric

Re: Residential Panel Location

If I was working on a panel that was behind a door I would be sure to have the door closed.
I see no problem with this installation.
:)

bphgravity

Panelboards located behind doors in dwelling units are actually a really good idea. You are almost guaranteed sufficient working space. If the occupancy is a high traffic commercial or office building, it might not be such a good idea. But in a single family home or single unit apartment, traffic control and door use can be easily controlled during work.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

You could also pop the door hinge pins out and remove the door if you were really concerned about it.

Mark

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

It's not a code violation. But if you are working on one of these, I think you do need to take extra care. We are all used to doors. We open them, we close them, we don't think about them. If this is the door to our bedroom, we will have opened and closed it many, many times, without thinking about it. So the electrician working on that panel has to be aware that the owners don't think about opening and closing that door. You need to be aware of all dangers about you, and this is a unique danger. Yes, you can lock the door. Yes, you can remove the door. Yes, you can insist that the owners leave the house while you are working. But do something, anything, to counter the possibility that a common situation could become a dangerous situation, without anybody thinking about it. That's your job: thinking about danger and about safety.

End of safety lecture.
;)

ryan_618

I agree with Bryan in that it is in fact a great location. I have never seen a table or desk or safe in front of an electrical panel that is behind the door swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.