Residential panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scwirenut

Re: Residential panel

I know this reply is a bit late, but with regards to the original post, using a panel box with main lugs and no main breaker would mean you can have no more than six movements. highly unlikey i feel , especially if if this were a 20- 30-40 cir. panel.

pierre

God rest Bennie's soul, we all remember how he sparked discusion, especially on subjects just like this one. But we have not moved any closer to an answer that we can sink our teeth into :D .

Some of my thoughts:
as far as Roger mentioning this as an extension of the bus, I feel that the UL listing/rating would not conform to that type of reasoning.
Once one uses a wiring method to leave one enclosure to enter another enclosure that is not listed as an assembly, we have two separate enclosures/panelboards.

As far as a 'mainbreaker' being required would depend on the type of panelboard as per Art 408.

Subpanel is not a term recognized by the NEC, but most in our industry do recognize the term.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Pierre,
As far as a 'mainbreaker' being required would depend on the type of panelboard as per Art 408.
I don't think so. There is nothing in 408 that requires a panel to have a main in the panel itself. The only time you must have a main (or 6 mains) in a panel is where the panel is being used as a building or service disconnect. In all other cases the panel overcurrent protection is permitted anywhere on the line side of the panel.
Don

[ December 04, 2004, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

clayton

now im nowhere close to the knowlege level of the rest of you guys, so maybe i'm being overly simplistic, but,

here goes

the service conductors enters the main outside,

from then on everything is a feeder conductor,(from the standpoint of the buss) we definitely ground/bond the "grounded conductor to the grounding electrode conductor and then bond the box with the equipment grounding conductor,

that said, now we run 50ft, down to the remote panelboard, ok

as was mentioned this is remote, therefore, dont connect the "gc" with the "egc"

reason (i hope) parallel paths of ground,

definitley size according to the 200amp ocpd

Please am i close here??
just trying to verify my take on the subject after reading the discussion

thanks clay. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.