Residential Pole Barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-men

I have a 150 amp 30 circuit panel in this house.I am going to run a 100 amp feeder from the 150 amp panel to a pole barn 50 feet from the house.My question is.I want 100 amp wire from the house to the pole barn.Table 310.16 says 75degree wire would be a #3 from the table.Can I use table 310.15(B)(6)says I can use #4 wire for 100 amps.Would you use #3 or #4 for this prodject?

bphgravity

Re: Residential Pole Barn

It is my opinion that Table 310.15(B)(6) is reserved for main service or main feeders to a dwelling. If you read 310.15(B)(6), it states that the feeders for this section shall be the conductors between the main disco. and the lighting and appliance panelboard. You are going from the loadcenter to another panelboard (subpanel). Table 310.16 would apply for these conductors.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I agree the feeder to the barn would fall under 310.16. The issue of what the main power feeder is, was clarified in the 1999 NEC.
You could always ask your AHJ for their opinion.

drscott

Z-Men,
You could use #2 al. direct use and still maintain the 100 amp system with no problem. Question is the house has 150 amp service and you are running a 100 amp service out to pole barn. Will both the house and barn survive on 150 amp total, have you ask the owner what he has intended to do in his pole barn? Does the house have A/C, electric range, electric Dryer that all could possibly be running at the same time as well as a welder in the barn
Doug

roger deas

Doug,
You could use #2 al. direct use and still maintain the 100 amp system with no problem.
so you are saying this feeder to the barn is a Main Power Feeder, and the 100 amp breaker in the "lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard" is a Main Breaker.

If so, this would mean we have a Main Breaker / Disconnect downstream of a Main Breaker / Disconnect. :)

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bennie, if this structure and house were served per 230.40 ex # 3, I think table 310.15(B)(6) would be applicable.

But in the wording of 310.15(B)(6) the feeder from the lighting and appliance branch-circuit panelboard to the barn would not be allowed to be sized per 310.15(B)(6)

Roger

bennie

Esteemed Member

If the main is a 100 amp then the smaller wire, to the pole building, could be used.

There is something wrong with the interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.