Residential pool wiring with AC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I have run into a curious question in regards to the International Residential Code (IRC) electrical section dealing with swimming pools.

The 2009 IRC seems to permit the use of AC cable for interior wiring for the feeder to pool equipment as well as the branch circuit wiring for pool motors, packaged spas and hot tubs and wet niche lights.

Now the 2009 IRC electrical section is supposed to be based on the 2008 NEC.

The question I have is I don't see where the 2008 NEC permits the use of AC cable as a wiring method for residential pools.

680.21(A)(4) permits any Chapter 3 wiring method to be used where there is an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor. It goes on to say that where run in a cable the EGC shall be permitted to be uninsulated, but it shall be enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable assembly.

I don't see AC cable as complying with this section.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree, I see MC but a/c doesn't appear to meet the NEC requirements. I wonder if it is an oversight.

If the IRC 2009 is the same as the 2008 NEC why even have that book?

raider1

Staff member
I agree, I see MC but a/c doesn't appear to meet the NEC requirements. I wonder if it is an oversight.

If the IRC 2009 is the same as the 2008 NEC why even have that book?

I agree, but the State of Utah does not.:)

Utah adopts the IRC as a stand alone code for single family and 2 family dwellings.

We will be adopting the 2009 IRC in July.

I have been putting together a 2009 IRC electrical changes class and stumbled upon this.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't have the '09 IRC, but in the '03, E4105.5 requires a copper equipment grounding conductor for pool motors.
The chart E4102.1 fails to reference motors as it does underwater luminaires.
Has this changed in the '09 ?

raider1

Staff member
I don't have the '09 IRC, but in the '03, E4105.5 requires a copper equipment grounding conductor for pool motors.
The chart E4102.1 fails to reference motors as it does underwater luminaires.
Has this changed in the '09 ?

You are right, Table E4202.1 does not reference motors, but it does reference the pool panel feeder and wet-niche, no-niche and dry-niche luminaries.

Also E4205.2, .5 and .6 does require the insulated equipment grounding conductor for luminaires, motors and feeders respectivly.

I guess you could use hospital grade AC cable with an insulated EGC and meet both the Table and the grounding requirements in the grounding section.

Did I ever mention that I hate the IRC.:D

Thanks Gus.

Chris

cadpoint

May be a little to a lot of topic, I thougth the IBC was taken to court to stop spec'n things "electricial".

I realize since Utah wrote that into their laws/codes that is a whole different thing all together.

On a personal note; I find it confusing at time to read proposals and comments here about our own Code Changes. ROP, and ROC, is a classic example be it backward for case history and/to the future. I frankly nearly pass on all this
type of reading to just try to learn what the Code is "today" as opposed to how it came about.

Note that I don't like "History!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.