Residential propane tank grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

maytrix1

I know from all the discussion ther is a lot of opinions on grounding a propane tank. What can I show an inspector is the rule.
A residential tank located outside away from the house. Plastic gas line underground to inside the house. It seems to me grounding this tank in any way is lighting the fuse.What do I do?
this is in Florida

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
maytrix1 said:
What do I do?
I would ask the inspector, "What is likely to energize the tank?"

Besides, I agree: the tank is isolated and possibly earthed; why bring electricity to it?

maytrix1

It seems we agree but I have a green inspector. I am suppose to get the code from the gas contractor but he hasnt come through. He said not to ground it.

Matrix
I am not sure how it works where you live, but here as an inspector it is up to me to show the contractor or his men what section of the code is not being complied with. Not for you to tell me what code section is. I would talk to this "new" inspector and see if he is willing to "listen and learn"

Good Luck

Energize

Pierre C Belarge said:
Matrix
I am not sure how it works where you live, but here as an inspector it is up to me to show the contractor or his men what section of the code is not being complied with. Not for you to tell me what code section is. I would talk to this "new" inspector and see if he is willing to "listen and learn"

Good Luck

good advice, Pierre. Listening and learning.... As I am sure you know, credibility is everything and you want to start the "new" inspector off on the right path.

good call

Status
Not open for further replies.