Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Residential receptacle limits

Hello
wave.gif
Ronald, I don't know if I want to get close to this question. I mean a ten foot pole definatly wouldn't be enough.
mittelgr124.gif

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Is this a time and materials job? Does the ground go up or down? Does the receptacle inside the applicance garage have to be GFCI protected?

Remindes me of a question my drafting instructor used to ask "How long is a battleship, True or False?".

-marty

I just did a "trouble shoot" for someone who had no power in the garage, no power it two different bathrooms and no power in the kitchen next to the sink. The electrician (?) before me told them they had lost their neutral. I went in the bathroom, reset the one gfi for the whole house, told the owner no charge (the first sparky got enough for both of us)and went my way.

So, it doesn?t matter how many recepts are on the small appliance circuit as long as the gfi protection is in the bathroom.

ronaldrc

Marty I've seen worse I once went on a trouble shoot job that had some size 22 telephone wire for switch legs in a couple of the bed rooms I told them to find another electrician.

Ronald :)

This portion of the code seems to mislead a lot of electricians. If you read section 220.13, there is a method for calculation the load for other than dwelling units - however, in a dwelling unit, the code only requires you to balance the number of general purpose outlets with the number of general lighting circuits required. These general purpose outlets should not be confused with the required circuits (Kithcen, Bath, ect). Whoever put the garage on a bathroom GFCI either didn't know the code or was operating on an older version than 1996.

Hope this helps.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Outlets in residential are placed for convenience. That is why there is no limit on the number of outlets on a branch circuit.

Mike P.

brian john

Years ago (like 33 plus) I asked the mech. I was working with this question he gave me the following advice.

"Put in one outlet on a it's own circuit, and put all the rest of the outlets on one circuit, Sure as hell the homeowner will overload the single outlet circuit."

Status
Not open for further replies.