Residential receptacles for roof deicing cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find a definitive answer from the code book. I am installing six receptacles on a duplex for deicing cables. I have a 12" to 14" wide soffitt under each roof eave. I am recessing my boxes using the "smart" boxes and want to know if this is considered a "wet" or "damp" location. No direct water reaches the locations and I would avoid the "in-use" covers if legal for aesthetic reasons. Thanks, Tony

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't seem to find a definitive answer from the code book. I am installing six receptacles on a duplex for deicing cables. I have a 12" to 14" wide soffitt under each roof eave. I am recessing my boxes using the "smart" boxes and want to know if this is considered a "wet" or "damp" location. No direct water reaches the locations and I would avoid the "in-use" covers if legal for aesthetic reasons. Thanks, Tony

From my experience doing professional type installs I don't use cord connected heat trace cables as those are usually non-regulating type. The self regulating version is usually cut to leghth. So I hard wire them and cut to legnth no need for bubble covers. I also use a 30 ma EPD type GFCI on the circuit.

Cables already installed

Cables already installed

The cables were installed by a roofer and I got the call to supply power. They obviously used the cord connect variety, although I agree with your ideas 100%

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The cables were installed by a roofer and I got the call to supply power. They obviously used the cord connect variety, although I agree with your ideas 100%

Oh well looks like bubble covers. I have seen a bellows exspandable version at a HD. I would think that under the eave may still be considered wet. In my area during a rain even under the eaves get really wet.

PetrosA

Bubble covers facing down? Wouldn't that be a bowl cover then? ;) I would check whether the bubble covers are rated for installation in that position, and if so I would probably add some drain holes to them.

kwired

Electron manager
I certainly would not call it a wet location - except maybe if the owner is washing the house. It is a damp location. That kind of activity is the excption and does not happen that often. If it is an area that is washed all the time like food processing, which of course wouldn't even be outdoors because of public health and safety codes, then it is a wet location.

Do you put wet location trims on any recessed lights you put in this area? Open trims are very common and are for dry and damp locations not wet.

renosteinke

Here's a link to one such system:

http://www.tycothermal.com/usa/engl...ons/residential/productdetails.aspx?pceg=7295

Sure looks like a cord & plug connection to me! (Actually, the picture surprises me. The ones I installed also had an integral 30mA GFCI built in).

I understand the OP's concerns over appearances, and the desire to keep the weather out. Personally, I cannot see even the heaviest, most wind-driven rain falling 'up' into the receptacles. I would think the 'old style' (no bubble) covers would be fine ... and face them with the flap opening to the street, so as to conceal things a bit better. I'd also anchor the cord quite close to the receptacle, and be in favor of using an angle plug.

Hendrix

I would look at it as a damp location.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would agree that by Definition this would be a damp location ,keep forgetting that other areas do not have the severe weather we do. And most would leave the cord connected all year round and just turn off the breaker to the outlet.

kwired

Electron manager
I would agree that by Definition this would be a damp location ,keep forgetting that other areas do not have the severe weather we do. And most would leave the cord connected all year round and just turn off the breaker to the outlet.

What do you have that the rest of the country doesn't experience outside of hurricanes near cost or blizzards in the far southern areas? Severe thunderstorms happen pretty much everywhere in the country, maybe more often in some places than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.