Residential Receptacles Per Circuit

laketime

Where in the code does it, if it does at all, specify how many receptacles can be on one circuit in a single family home? I know commercial is 180va per receptacle for load calculations. I know a home is 3va per square foot for load calculations. What code sections in the 2023 would I use to state a case for how we circuit a house?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where in the code does it, if it does at all, specify how many receptacles can be on one circuit in a single family home? I know commercial is 180va per receptacle for load calculations. I know a home is 3va per square foot for load calculations. What code sections in the 2023 would I use to state a case for how we circuit a house?
There is a difference between load calc rules (Art. 220) and actual wiring rules (Art. 210).

In my opinion, there are no actual quantity limits; it would be too easy to include them.

laketime

There is a difference between load calc rules (Art. 220) and actual wiring rules (Art. 210).

In my opinion, there are no actual quantity limits; it would be too easy to include them.
We agree. We are wiring a house for a commercial electrician and he is telling the builder we can only have (8) receptacles on a circuit as the code states. I am not aware of any limitations on the number of receptacles outside of what is required in article 210.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Number of Outlets Permitted
on One Branch-Circuit
The NEC® does not specify the maximum number
of receptacle outlets or lighting outlets that may
be connected to one 120-volt lighting or small appliance
branch-circuit in a residence. It may seem to be
ridiculous and illogical that 10, 20, or more receptacle
outlets and lighting outlets can be connected
to one branch-circuit and not be in violation of
the Code. Consider the fact, however, that having
many “convenience” receptacles is “safer” because
many receptacle outlets will virtually eliminate the
use of extension cords, one of the most frequent
causes of electrical fires. Rarely, if ever, would all
receptacle outlets and lighting outlets be fully
loaded at the same time. There is much diversity of
load in residential occupancies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are wiring a house for a commercial electrician and he is telling the builder we can only have (8) receptacles on a circuit as the code states.
Tell him that, while there is no such code, you will be happy to install as many extra home runs and breakers as he is willing to pay extra for.

The quantity of receptacles per circuit depends on their purposes

I prefer only two or three per 20a circuit in kitchens, but have no problem with putting two or three bedrooms' worth of them on one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We agree. We are wiring a house for a commercial electrician and he is telling the builder we can only have (8) receptacles on a circuit as the code states. I am not aware of any limitations on the number of receptacles outside of what is required in article 210.
He's wrong. If he wants to pay extra for 8 receptacles on a circuit let him.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Do the calculations and show him how many circuits the code would require.
I would think you're gonna do better than that.