residential recepts per 20 amp circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-marty

So, as we talked about before - the nec doesn't give us a # of recepts per 20 circuit for residential. Well I have do figure something and it's usually 180 va, which is commercial. So I end up with too many circuits. But from looking at the plans how do I know where the 500 watt quartz lamps are going to be plugged in. When you do residential, how many recepts per circuit do you figure????

Also, same thing for lights, I use to figure 3 va per sq foot of a room. But since the 3 va per sq foot includes recepts this is probably too high.

I err on the side of caution. I have seen 2000 sq foot houses wired with a 20 circuit loadcenter. I seem to be closer to 40 circuits.

dacreman

Re: residential recepts per 20 amp circuit ?

10 recepts per 20 amp circuit as my rule of thumb. I also use 2 recept per kitchen circuit, 1 GFI and 1 duplex on load side of GFI, especially at the counter tops.

-marty

dacreman-

thanks, but your overkill seems worse than mine. I was taught 4 recepts per kitchen circuit (local code). I like quads in the corners.

dacreman

The way I meant to say for kitchens was 2 double duplex per 4" box and 2 4" boxes per circuit which would be 4 per circuit, just as you said.
Sorry, what I meant to relay and what I typed were different.

hurk27

Marty it is hard to judge as the amount of appliances in use today will incress tomarrow. But like you said it pays to error on the side of caution as it can be frustrating to have to come back on service calls because of tripping breakers. (and embarrassing) as most home owners think that the new house they just bought should be problem free and tripping breakers is a sign of future problems. and of course this leads to a bad rep.

40 circuit panel is not uncommon nowdays
And is the standered size that I install in any house over 1500sf.

kcolwell

When I was doing work as an apprentice, I was always told 6 recept. per 15 amp circuit and 8 recept. per 20 amp circuit. The lead electrician couldn't tell me how he came up with that number, so I just did it.

As my experience grew, so did my knowledge, and that rule of thumb didn't seem to make much sense. I was also running out of panel space. Therefore, I tend to use the 180va requirement in residential applications as well. Translating it into 1.5 amps per recept., that allows me to install up to 13 recept. per 20 amp circuit. I only use this practice for rooms in a house that will not be very heavily loaded, such as the bedroom, living rooms, gamerooms, etc. I still tend to run low on breaker space because I put a lot of recepts in my houses.

I do wish the NEC would address this topic in more detail. I have seen houses with as many as 25 recepts on one 15 amp circuit, and this was a multi-million dollar home. Boy are they getting a deal!

physis

I feel the same way looking at how many breakers end up in a load center, but when I add everything up there's just isn't a way around it.
I even make it worse for myself by exeeding 210.52(A)(1) in living rooms and bedrooms because I think it's nice to not have to see cords on the floor.

I was told 7 or 8 (depending on the wire run length) receptacles too similarly to what Kcolwell was told, I have no idea where it comes from but maybe there's a common thread with the older guys.

jschultz

some local jurisdictions put restrictions on the number of residential receptacles per circuit. 8 is a common one. Funny thing is they dont specify if it is a 15 or 20 amp circuit.

bennie

Esteemed Member

For residential application, it is not the number of receptacles, it is the amount and kind of equipment that may be operated.
A 15 or 20 amp circuit can operate a lot of lights, radio, TV, and other low wattage appliances.

Vacuum cleaners are the killer for 15 amp circuits.

-marty

The house I'm going to be wiring that prompted my question is 8000 sq feet. I'm as concerned about voltage drop as I am the number of recepts on a circuit.

Thanks for all the responses.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Voltage drop is the result of the load being too far from the panel.

The load can not be moved, the only recourse is to move the panel or panels closer to the load.

-marty

Bennie,

With 8k sq feet I can't have panels everywhere. I was thinking about 10 awg for the longer homeruns. What do you think?

If you have an idea of load to be served you can calculate the voltage drop requirements. The #10 will help but may or may not be adequate if the run is very large in an 8000 sq ft home. Another panel may be the better option but a little more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.