residential service 4 wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praedatus1

hey guys, I did a quick search and didn't find much, but I'm sure you've answered this already...

Our power companies here (Wyoming) are starting to make us pull in a ground wire with our 3 conductor URD for a house service, set a disconnect on the pole, and re-establish ground with a rod there. Problem is, the AHJ's are still making us bond our ufer and water #4's at the house and removing the bond bar at the house disconnect. Wouldn't that make a loooong ground fault travel...all the way out to the pole before a ground/neutral bond? Or am I messed up here? My boss says the house disco is treated like a separate structure sub panel now... ??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with your boss. Your 3 wire service ends at the first disconnect switch on the pole. Due to the new requirements of 250.32 you'll need to treat the panel as a subpanel and run 4 conductors.

stew

Oh my now you have a problem. a separate egc in the trench with the urd? See the post on use and you will see what I mean.I do it all the time but seems as how many say you cannot.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh my now you have a problem. a separate egc in the trench with the urd? See the post on use and you will see what I mean.I do it all the time but seems as how many say you cannot.
Can't you find 4-conductor URD (or is it USE)? My local HD carries it.

Praedatus1

well after reading 250 a bit more thoroughly I understand better. Its just interesting how the power company starts putting a disconnect out on the pole 200 feet from the house and suddenly it changes everything. They don't want to be responsible for the underground to the house, so they make the pole disconnect the service drop. 2 200 amp disconnects on site...seems like overkill to me. Anyways thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.