Residential Service Entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

I am replacing two panels in a basement of an an existing apartment building. I am replacing the panels with a 200 amp circuit breaker and then relocating the panels inside the individual apartments. Can I use service entrance cable per table 310 .15 (B) (6) from the circuit breaker to the panel inside the building?
Thanks in advance for any help.

John120/240

Why ??? That sounds like a royal pain to move both apartments circuits

upstairs. You will need 4 conductors to serve these new sub panels.

310-15(b)(6) states for 3 wire service. Some body please clarify for the both

of us.

Artemis

The occupants of the apartments do not have access to the panels where they are located now and the local AHJ required them to be located in their respective apartments.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Now.. back to your question...:D
310.15(B))67) states:
(6) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders. For individual dwelling units of one-family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings, conductors, as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as 120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors,
so, if your service is 120/240 volt 3 wire and your apartments meet the definition of a dwelling unit, you can apply the Table.

John120/240

OK so you can apply table 310-15(b)(6), but you still need 4 conductors

correct. So we use 310-15(b)(6) by default because the fourth conductor

doesn't affect the rating ?

wirenut1980

Thanks Augie. It was lost on me that the OP was asking about the table. :ashamed1:

John, you got it. The 4th wire is an equipment grounding conductor (EGC), which is not supposed to be a current carrying conductor, except under fault conditions.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
OK so you can apply table 310-15(b)(6), but you still need 4 conductors

correct. So we use 310-15(b)(6) by default because the fourth conductor

doesn't affect the rating ?

You can use the table because the new subs will carry the full load to the dwelling. If you left some of the loads at the main and then ran a sub, you wouldn't be able to use the table. You would then need to use 310.16 (2005) or what ever the new number for that table is.

Status
Not open for further replies.