Residential Single- and Multiple-Station Smoke Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a new single family home is equipted with hard wired smoke detectors fed from a Security/Fire alarm panel, is it still a requiremnet to provide the 120volt battery backup smoke detectors? If so, where does it state it in the code. If not, what code article exempts the 120volt detectors if this system is in place. Also, if the low voltage system is acceptable, what requirements apply i.e. fire wire to devices including sirens & keypads, panel battery backup, S/D locations, notification decibel minimums.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In the areas that I am familiar with, those details are covered by the Building Codes. That most recent copy I have is outdated but covered by the International Residential Code in R313.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
If a new single family home is equipted with hard wired smoke detectors fed from a Security/Fire alarm panel, is it still a requiremnet to provide the 120volt battery backup smoke detectors? If so, where does it state it in the code. If not, what code article exempts the 120volt detectors if this system is in place. Also, if the low voltage system is acceptable, what requirements apply i.e. fire wire to devices including sirens & keypads, panel battery backup, S/D locations, notification decibel minimums.

NFPA 72 is what you are looking for. IRC 314 has requirements but not overly specific and references you to NFPA 72. A fire security system is acceptable in lieu of but must become a perminate asset to the dwelling.

RICK NAPIER

We use the 2009 version here and it would also require monitoring if they use an alarm system. Besides belonging to the property owner. The IRC also describes locations but send you back to NFPA 72.

R314.2 Smoke detection systems. Household fire alarm systems installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device installed as required by this section for smoke alarms, shall be permitted. The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms. Where a household fire warning system is installed using a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device(s), it shall become a permanent fixture of the occupancy and owned by the homeowner. The system shall be monitored by an approved supervising station and be maintained in accordance with NFPA 72.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

we're in the 2006 international codes, irc section 313 spells it out, as does ibc section 907.2.10, can't quote life safety code nfpa 101, but i know it's in there, yes house power and battery back up. i normally pull the feed from a local lighting circuit, no one wants to kill power to their lights. working as an inspector, i see a lot of "dedicated circuits" for smoke detection, a practice i disagree with ( because they can just be swichted off) but not one i can do anything about,.

mrtom

I would say never mind the security system and install hard wired detectors as there is the very easy-to-do potential for the homeowner, for whatever reason, to discontinue using/paying for their security system.......then there will be no smoke (or CO2) detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.