Residential Smoke Detection (New Construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarm Depot

We are running into a large number of new homes in the Miami area that exceeds the (12) smoke detector threshold. System sensor has a system that meets all the requirements and can be connected to a residential UL approved burglar / fire alarm panel. Although this is not a fire alarm, we have been unable to process our permit request in some municipalities because the electrical plans processer insists that we need to have an EF or registered electrical contractor license to install a residential smoke system.

I called the state and they could not clarify it. They suggested I look at 489.537 which I did (9) and EG is listed as an approved license.

Please let me know what the requirement is and if EG is in fact approved how to get a clarification to bring to the municipalities that don?t understand when and if it is needed.

Thx

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We are running into a large number of new homes in the Miami area that exceeds the (12) smoke detector threshold. System sensor has a system that meets all the requirements and can be connected to a residential UL approved burglar / fire alarm panel. Although this is not a fire alarm, we have been unable to process our permit request in some municipalities because the electrical plans processer insists that we need to have an EF or registered electrical contractor license to install a residential smoke system.

I called the state and they could not clarify it. They suggested I look at 489.537 which I did (9) and EG is listed as an approved license.

Please let me know what the requirement is and if EG is in fact approved how to get a clarification to bring to the municipalities that don?t understand when and if it is needed.

Thx

What is the System Sensor product you are considering? The 1224T?

Cavie

Residential some alarms are 120 volt systems. At least one 120 volt smoke is required in most places around Fl. inconjunction with the monatered system hence the EC or EL license requirement. If the residence owner didn't wish to pay for monatering, there would be no smoke coverage without the 120 smoke installed.

iwire

Staff member
We are running into a large number of new homes in the Miami area that exceeds the (12) smoke detector threshold.

Keep in mind smoke alarms and smoke detectors are different products.

Usually the rules require smoke alarms. Any smoke detectors would be in addition to the smoke alarms not in in lieu of.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
My state has managed to upgrade the requiremnts of smoke/CO detection, without a prayer of enforcement , to the unfortunate extent where more uncompliant dwellings exist than compliant ones

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.