residential wiring textbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltydawg

I would like to know what textbooks are superior in the field of residential wiring?
I am expanding my knowledge and in the market for a "how-to" guide that fulfills the requirement of residential inside wiring.

cadpoint

Go to your local technical or junior college book store if they offer a
class and see what there teaching from or cold call the instructor there.

Sometimes the book store, or school has the book listing for course studies on-line.

I've got several, but find that 'Electrical Wiring: Residential' by Ray C. Mullin is the one I most commonly reach for when I have a question (and my boss isn't nearby to answer or I'm not at my computer to check here). That book, paired with a copy of the Code, has been an immense help. Most of the stuff at the home centers is more DIY oriented and from what I've seen doesn't get in-depth enough where necessary and none of them that I've come across at such places have been any help in learning how to navigate the Code...

In fairness, I haven't checked out Mike Holt's available material yet (other than what's on the site), but from what others have said about it, it's probably among the best.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Are you a tradesman or a DIYer?
Just FYI, the moderators had a discussion (debate?) several years ago about providing assistance to high voltage electricians (linemen) who wanted to learn about, or do some work in, the residential side of the business. We decided that it is not up to us to judge the degree of experience that an electrician might have in the area in which he or she is asking questions on this forum. If a person gets paid to do electrical work, and if the person is working within the laws and rules of their jurisdiction, including any licensing and permit requirements, then that person is not a DIY, in the context of the rules of this forum.

guschash

I have many books on wiring. Mullin is good,Cauldwell has a good one and Black and Decker is good. I refer to them because they have a lot of pictures.:)

Mike's books are all good, but he does not have a book specifically for residential.

I have them all. ;) Some are garbage, and there are some really good ones available.

If one is on a budget, and who today is not, then the 'bang for the buck' book I would purchase is:

"One & Two Family Dwellings Electrical Systems"

This is published by the IAEI. What makes it unique is that it covers the NEC and the ICC requirements. Well done, and if one likes pictures/illustrations, the book is loaded with them as well.

charlie

. . . Mullin is good . . .
I like Ray's book but it is based only on the NEC. Ray has almost everything referenced to the code so you can see the rule he is using to do everything. Also, there is a drawing in the back of his book that shows the home being wired so you can visualize what is going on.

To be fair, I am the reviewer for his book but I get nothing from the book sales. :smile:

guschash

Well Charlie, keep up the good work. I have been reading them for a long time. Where I used to work all the guy used to borrow them. I know they are base on the code but its put in language I can understand.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I like Mullin's Residential book a lot and I would add to it "Your Old Wiring" by David Shapiro. This is a great book for discussing real practical skills, like what to do when you get to that old Gem box and the wire is 2 inches long. This book is hard to find, but I think it's a keeper.

Mark

iaov

book I would purchase is: [I said:
"One & Two Family Dwellings Electrical Systems"[/I] .

This is published by the IAEI. What makes it unique is that it covers the NEC and the ICC requirements. Well done, and if one likes pictures/illustrations, the book is loaded with them as well.
A very good book!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I started with Wiring Simplified, I recently found the first copy at my dads house, published in 1965.
Its still published today, the expanded version is Practical Electric Wiring, now mostly authored by Fred Hartwell. In some ways its better than Mikes books, as it takes a more holistic approach.
My first copy of wiring simplified had a hole in the cover to hang it from a nail by your panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.