response time to a proposal given to a contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepevegac

I was just wondering how long does it take to get an answer from the time a proposal/bid is submitted in order to get a response.
does anyone contacts the contractor at certain point for an update?
some feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

frizbeedog

pepevegac said:
I was just wondering how long does it take to get an answer from the time a proposal/bid is submitted in order to get a response.
does anyone contacts the contractor at certain point for an update?
some feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

Some jobs I have estimated I thought were long gone, and six months later they call up. Guess they were just waiting for funds or whatever. The office personnel follow up after a period of time just to clear the dead file. When doing this we do get some of the jobs after all.

mdshunk

If you just blast out your proposals into never-never land and wait for the phone to ring, you're doing the wrong thing. Communication is key to getting work. Follow up with a phonecall in a couple weeks to find out how you stand. If you didn't get the work, at least ask how you ranked or why you didn't get the work. If the job is basically yours but it's waiting on other things, you need to know that too.

480sparky

Two years ago, I bid a sports bar/restaurant. Looked at the job site and got prints on a Monday, and faxed the proposal the next day. By the next week, I hadn't heard anything, so I started calling. In another 2 weeks, I was calling the guy 3 or 4 times a week, getting his voicemail, leaving messages. I implored him to call me, one way or the other. I had other jobs I was looking at, and didn't want to overbook myself if he was serious about wanting me.

I got to the point where I felt I was harassing him, leaving so many messages. So after a couple months, I gave up.

He called me up about 4 months ago, asking me to start the next day. he would be more than happy to sign my proposal and give it to me when I arrived. I kind of chuckled (especially since this bid was figured before the 500% copper price jump of 2006), and told him to look at the bottom. "This proposal shall expire 30 days after the date submitted".

ITO

1 minute to 6 months...

Call and get a bid tab.

Generally a quick response time means you left something on off your bid and got the job, and a really long response time means they would rather not use you but they could not find anyone cheaper.

Rewire

I always make three or four calls to follow up .The next day,to aasure everything was recieved,the following week to ask for COs,and at 30 days to remind them that I cannot hold the bid because of price flux.And finnally when I see another EC doing the job I ask how far out I was

Status
Not open for further replies.