Retro Fitting Under Cabinet Lights

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Retro Fitting Under Cabinet Lights

• Tell The Customer "NO" and Walk Away From The Job

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Tap into one of the SABC's and violate 210.52(B)(2)

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
When asked to install under cabinet lights where there is no sensible option to install a new circuit or to tap into a circuit other than the SABC, what do you do?

Unfortunately, in our business, especially remodels, the "sensible" option is rarely code compliant (which makes it un-sensible).

How bad does the customer want under cabinet lighting?

If they don't want to pay the price to do it right, maybe suggest some push on/off battery operated pucks or something.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So far, the poll is a resounding NO. It's situations like these that kind of drive me nuts. It's OK to tap a SABC for a clock or a range igniter but not something as minimally power hungry as under cabinet lights. I know the line has to be drawn somewhere but some things just don't make sense to me.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I admitted that I would break the law. I have nothing to say in my defense, I admit to being guilty. Furthermore I probably wasn't wearing a seat belt on my way to that job.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
From a liability standpoint, knowingly violating the NEC could be trouble down the road. Whether you agree or not; the lawyers will hang you if some incident occurs that could in anyway be tied back to you or your company.

Anything can be accomplished with enough time and money. If the HO really wants those lights, it can be done. It may require a complete kitchen remodel but its their money. :eek:

In every job done, you should always ask yourself, "Is this job worth losing my life, or livelihood over?"

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
From a liability standpoint, knowingly violating the NEC could be trouble down the road. Whether you agree or not; the lawyers will hang you if some incident occurs that could in anyway be tied back to you or your company.

Anything can be accomplished with enough time and money. If the HO really wants those lights, it can be done. It may require a complete kitchen remodel but its their money. :eek:

In every job done, you should always ask yourself, "Is this job worth losing my life, or livelihood over?"

I highly doubt tapping the SABC to feed under cabinet lights will burn the house down especially with DIY'r stuff I see out there on a daily basis and the houses are still standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.