Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 110.3(B)
2.) Proposal Recommends: [revised text]
3.) Proposal: (B) Installation and Use. When listed or labeled equipment is installed, it shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

4.) Substantiation: As this section is currently written, it seems to require that listed or labeled equipment is required to be used. This would add clarity that unlisted equipment can be used, if it is approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Revise 110.3(B)

I just had a thought: How about this instead:

1.) NEC Section/Paragraph: 110.3(B)
2.) Proposal Recommends: [revised text]
3.) Proposal: Revise existing text and add an exception:

(B) Installation and Use. When listed or labeled equipment is installed, it shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
Exception: Other methods shall be permitted as approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, or as required by other sections of this code.

4.) Substantiation: As this section is currently written, it seems to require that listed or labeled equipment is required to be used. This would add clarity that unlisted equipment can be used, if it is approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

The exception allows for other methods that could be seen as violating listings; such as the methods prescribed in 300.20(B), for example.

[ June 05, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Revise 110.3(B)

I am blessed in that I get along pretty well with my AHJ's, and when I screw up, I usually have obviously screwed up. Some of my coworkers have had some issues along these lines. I write in their stead. :D

I'll try to shore up the substantiation soon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.