Revisions For Plugs On Island & Peninsular Countertops

GabeMart8

New User
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i’ve heard another electrician at the supply house also mention that island and peninsular plugs are now optional is that true? or do we still need them per code?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
i’ve heard another electrician at the supply house also mention that island and peninsular plugs are now optional is that true? or do we still need them per code?
Per the 2023 NEC 210.52(C)(2), it’s optional. However, (there's always a however in life), if you don't install one, you have to provide means to add one in the future.

Ron

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Per the 2023 NEC 210.52(C)(2), it’s optional. However, (there's always a however in life), if you don't install one, you have to provide means to add one in the future.

Ron
So you might as well.......

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
But if you add one it is required to be on or above the countertop. No longer permitted on the side within 12”.

kwired

Electron manager
But if you add one it is required to be on or above the countertop. No longer permitted on the side within 12”.
At same time I see nothing wrong with providing one on the side, it is not considered to be serving the counter top since it is not on or above the countertop. At same time it could be the provisions where you could extend from to add one on the counter top. Is still in area that must be on the SABC's so as long as it is on a SABC it could be anywhere on the side of the cabinet, the wording has eliminated the requirement to have a receptacle serving said countertop space. Nothing prohibits having one immediately adjacent to said space

I not sure what the intent is but I see possible changes again next time.

david

At same time I see nothing wrong with providing one on the side, it is not considered to be serving the counter top since it is not on or above the countertop. At same time it could be the provisions where you could extend from to add one on the counter top. Is still in area that must be on the SABC's so as long as it is on a SABC it could be anywhere on the side of the cabinet, the wording has eliminated the requirement to have a receptacle serving said countertop space. Nothing prohibits having one immediately adjacent to said space

I not sure what the intent is but I see possible changes again next time.
Have not read up on it, but the concern has been in the past cords hanging over a counter top. Unless there becomes a requirement not allowing rec in the cabinets for these, the requirement not specifying the placement could make counter top appliances closer to the edge of the counter top

Like I said haven't read up on this yet.

kwired

Electron manager
Have not read up on it, but the concern has been in the past cords hanging over a counter top. Unless there becomes a requirement not allowing rec in the cabinets for these, the requirement not specifying the placement could make counter top appliances closer to the edge of the counter top

Like I said haven't read up on this yet.
I can't see them ever prohibiting a receptacle on side of the cabinet. Whether or not it can count as "serving the countertop" is different issue.