Rewire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone help me with understanding the code req. in rewiring a 30 year old house which consist of old type 2 wire cable.After upgrading service and grounding house properly. Does the old branch circuit wiring has to be removed and updated with the new vinyl type NM with ground? I've been told that adding GFCI protected circuits is an acceptable practice. Does this apply to the lighting circuits as well as receptacles? And is AFI's required along with this?:confused:

ceb58

Could someone help me with understanding the code req. in rewiring a 30 year old house which consist of old type 2 wire cable.After upgrading service and grounding house properly. Does the old branch circuit wiring has to be removed and updated with the new vinyl type NM with ground? I've been told that adding GFCI protected circuits is an acceptable practice. Does this apply to the lighting circuits as well as receptacles? And is AFI's required along with this?:confused:

It's going to depend on the AHJ. In doing a panel upgrade some will say as long as you haven't touched or added to the branch circ. you are fine to leave it like it was, some will require AFCI for the bedrooms and some will require you to GFCI the two wire circ. and add smoke detectors. I have ran into all three cases,it just depends on where you are at and the local requirements.

radiopet

I agree with " I Keel You" on this. As with the locality where I make these types of call that if you are not doing any wiring within the dwelling but simply upgrading the service then you are not required to bring the circuits with in the dwelling up to code. However, with that said I would stongly suggest at least the application of GFCI devices to enhance the safety aspect of the installation but I would not be forcing the issue because in Virginia Law it would be wrong for me to force it to take place.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The general rule around here is that existing wiring must be brought up to present requirements only if 50% or more of the premises is being renovated.

Status
Not open for further replies.