Rewiring H.I.D. 277 3 phase to 120 single phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankrowe

i've got a 277 volt 3 phase 250 watt HPS ballast that I want to rewire to run on a 120 volt single phase service...is the possible and/or safe?

frankrowe

Re: Rewiring H.I.D. 277 3 phase to 120 single phase

The light is a Lithonia Hi-Tek 277V HID

We have it opened up right now looking at it, i have been reading aroung about multitap, single tap transformers but cant tell the difference. I know basics on circuit design ex: mutual inductance by the seperate inductors on the transformer, capacitors, resistors etc. My transformer is a 3phase, wires labled phase 1,2, or 3, com, line and cap, cannnot really tell if it is a multitap, please help

hurk27

Frank I don't think you have a 3-phase ballast the wire numbers you are seeing are internal circuit numbers that line up with the wiring diagram. these also will be found on the starter/igniter also mounted by the ballast. If you have a multi-tap ballast you will have leads marked with the voltage of the tap like, 120vac, 208, 240, 277, 480, Common will always be one of the leads and will be the grounded circuit conductor when the circuit supplying the fixture has a grounded circuit conductor (neutral) Look for the voltage on the leads if you don't find one marked for 120vac then the ballast is not rated for this voltage.

P.S. Also these leads will have no other connection and are usually caped off with tape or a wire nut.

[ May 01, 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

websparky

Hi Wayne,

Yes, that was my smart-a$$-lazy way of saying it!

After all of your typing, you covered it well and I couldn't offer anything further.

Now, after a good night's sleep, I'm ready to type again!

megawatt

Since you said "A" light, I assume there's only one fixture, and that the increased amperage wouldn't be a factor for the conductor....but that's the only problem I could see.

peter d

frankrowe,

277 volts is not a 3-phase voltage, it is a single phase voltage.

What kind of installer are you?

This sounds a little fishy to me. Let's be careful about how much information we supply here.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I'll lock this thread, enough information has been given to allow a qualifed person to proceed.
Frankrowe, with 277, you can't make a mistake, its very unforgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.