RF and GFI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Having trouble at a restuarant with their paging system tripping GFI's in the kitchen area where it is connected. I've heard rumors of transmitters causing Gfi's to trip if located in the same area. Is there any truth to this or should I tell them it's a fault within the pageing transmitter. If there is truth to this, and it's worth trying, would changing the Gfi's to duplex and then changing to gfi breakers work?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Temp the paging system to a non protected outlet via an extension cord. Operate the paging a few times to see if the GFCI trips. The GFCI should still trip if the transmitter is causing the problem. Next measure the current on the EG of the cord while paging. Instruction manual of the transmitter will, I think, give leakage currents.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Yes it is very possible for RF to upset just about anything with an integrated circuit in it , including a GFCI.

GFCIs are essentially connected to a long antenna via the supply conductors (assuming this is a radiated vs. conducted interference issue). It depends upon the transmit power, the transmitter frequency and how far from the wiring the transmitter is located as to whether or not it might interfere.

Different manufacturers may include varying levels of protection against this type of interference. You might try searching for a GFCI that specifically lists its EMI immunity levels in their specifications.

iwire

Staff member
benmin said:
Having trouble at a restuarant with their paging system tripping GFI's in the kitchen area where it is connected. I've heard rumors of transmitters causing Gfi's to trip if located in the same area. Is there any truth to this or should I tell them it's a fault within the pageing transmitter. If there is truth to this, and it's worth trying, would changing the Gfi's to duplex and then changing to gfi breakers work?

Is the transmitter plugged into the protected circuit or just in the vicinity of the transmitter?

Can the transmitter be moved farther from the GFCIs, perhaps the opposite side of the customer waiting areas?

As ELA has pointed out RF can mess with electronics, I work on a lot of energy management systems and have learned not to key up a walkie talkie while standing in front of the control boards, the electronics don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.