RGS Terminating In 4" Box

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know ridic questions but just want to be sure.
When a piece of RMC enters into a device box that has knockouts the conduit(whether the threaded end or cut and not threaded end) it AWLAYS needs a connector similar to this? My question is if it's the threaded end the conduit threaded end can't just into the knockout with a locknut on the outside and inside.
1687459829029.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the conduit is threaded you can terminate with a locknut inside and outside.
In addition 344.46 requires a bushing.

Not lilely top apply to your 4" box but in general keep in mind....
If the circut is a service or over 250 v to ground additional bonding might be needed See 250.92 & 250.97

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When a piece of RMC enters into a device box that has knockouts the conduit(whether the threaded end or cut and not threaded end) it AWLAYS needs a connector similar to this?
No it doesn't need that if the RMC is threaded. That is a threadless connector for where there are no threads on the end of the RMC.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I know ridic questions but just want to be sure.
When a piece of RMC enters into a device box that has knockouts the conduit(whether the threaded end or cut and not threaded end) it AWLAYS needs a connector similar to this? My question is if it's the threaded end the conduit threaded end can't just into the knockout with a locknut on the outside and inside.
View attachment 2565949
Look into the sim push ones they're cheaper and rain tight also. They don't hold up like a good threaded hub will but if it's just going into a 4 square then it'll be comparable in physical protection. Threaded with threaded box entry is the strongest way but the most taxing in making everything line up without needing 3 piece fittings.