Right size fixture for pole mount parking lot light

Status
Not open for further replies.

markebenson

I am replacing these with LED slip fitters. Will a Halco 150w 400 MH equivelent be enough?

Thanks

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 34

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
400 MH is a 4000k, 13,000-14,000 lumens bulb.
make sure your replacement has the correct color and lumens to match.
I wouldn't use a corncob type replacement there, half your light would be going into the fixture.

Your question leaves out the led color / frequency. If you are changing all the lighting then color won’t be on issue the higher the color or 500k or better will look brighter, the one thing I found is some of the led slip fitter sizes were smaller than the original MH fixtures, but they did produce more visible light we verified this with digital cameras and color wheel and reflective clothing were visible much further with the LED but it all depends on the fixture type and height

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You say you are replacing them with LED Halco slip fitters, what is the existing. You mention 400W MH? As Hv&Lv mentions: 400 MH is a 4000k, 13,000-14,000 lumens bulb.

See here:

Assuming you are replacing all fixtures:

You probably would want a SAL-100-T5-50-U which is 100 watt, 14,778 lumens@ 5000k type V distribution. Type V distribution is uniform all around.

If you want to kick it up to 21,898 lumens then go with the SAL-150-T5-50-U which is 150 watt but I think the 100W is plenty especially at 5000k.

You will also need a slipfitter adapter for each fixture.

-Hal

d0nut

I am replacing these with LED slip fitters. Will a Halco 150w 400 MH equivelent be enough?

Thanks
Do the actual lighting calculation or have the lighting rep help you out if you are unable to do the calculation.

Uniformity in a parking lot is just as important, if not more important, than the illuminance value. HID sources were an omnidirectional source that was housed in a reflector that redirected the light to get the distribution you wanted, but there was still a decent amount of light that went straight down and made a pool of light under the luminaire. To get the uniformity required, you ended up with taller poles, tighter spacing, and much higher illuminance values than would be required for the parking lot.

LED sources are a point source that typically have the optics directly applied to the light source. Each LED is separately lensed and tuned to function with all the other LEDs in the array to create the luminaire's distribution. This difference means that there is no pool of light directly under the luminaire and the proper uniformity can be achieved with much shorter poles, greater spacing, and lower illuminance.

Even in an LED replacement application reusing the existing poles, you can achieve much better results if you actually put some design effort into the project rather than just trying to replace like for like.

Status
Not open for further replies.