Rigid Galvanized Vs. IMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would IMC be used instead of Rigid Galvanized Steel (RGS), if they are virtually the same product? If it is better in buried location then, which would you, spec. PVC or IMC? Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.
:p

iwire

Staff member
Re: Rigid Galvanized Vs. IMC

Originally posted by tvgaconsultants:
Where would IMC be used instead of Rigid Galvanized Steel (RGS), if they are virtually the same product?
I use IMC in place of RMC when I can, it is thinner wall so it is less weight to handle.

For underground use I like PVC it will never rust and will not crush if installed correctly.

I do not break through the surface with PVC, I will use IMC or RMC for that.

If I know it will be a tough pull I will use RMC sweeps where I have to, but I try to avoid any made bends by having the trench dug with gradual turns.

Thanks Bob, I personally have never worked with IMC. This is what sparked the question. I do agree with the PVC and RMC 90 ups for pulls. I try to design the conduit systems with gradual changes to eliminate 45's and 90's unless absolutely necessary. Thanks again if any one else has an opinion please speak up.

[ June 20, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: tvgaconsultants ]

ryan_618

...If anyone less has an opinion... I don't know if I'm less or not, but I'll give you my opinion. :) Try IMC and you will love it compared with RMC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

IMC and RMC are virtually the same price. I've heard that IMC is a little harder to thread as it is "tougher", true or not?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tom baker:
I've heard that IMC is a little harder to thread as it is "tougher", true or not?
I have never noticed it to be tougher, but we power thread everything. :)

yanert

Imc has a thinner wall. I have run into imc conduit many times that will have trouble threading. If I try a piece of rigid at the same time, it will thread every time!

flightline

At one time I used to use IMC almost exclusively. Later on, I went to work for a contractor that did a good deal of gas station work. He used GRSC exclusively. His logic was that the IMC was finished in a process called"sheradizing" and it was harder and much stiffer. It was much harder on his numerous threading dies, and limited the benders he could use. Many times in the ditch, you would have to use a hickey type bender to horse a conduit into position. The IMC would kink or collapse. There was a reasonable difference in price; IMC being less expensive. He felt that any savings was negated by what he stated. At the present time, I specify GRSC for our work. I do try to achieve a savings and also try to not kill our electricians by also specifying " Kwik Couple " type conduit so you don't have to spin the whole conduit. Eithre that or when we have to, we install a good deal of PVC coated GRSC.

[ July 17, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: flightline ]

flightline

Galvanized Rigid Steel Conduit. I guess I'm used to using in our specs at the airport, since that's how they've designated it's abreviaion.

Status
Not open for further replies.