Riser Bonding Conductors for Electrical and Telecom grounding system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaglibu

We have five story building, and each floor has a dedicated electrical and telecom room, each with ground bars. Is there any issue to use one vertical riser bonding conductor (say 250 to 750MCM) to bond all the electrical and telecom ground bar on each floor? Note: The riser bonding conductor will be bonded to the main electrical ground bus. Or should there be two separate vertical rise bonding conductor for each grounding system?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Possibly. For new construction, the telecom grounding system is required to be bonded to the intersystem bonding terminal which is required to be installed at the service, or at the disconnecting means for additional buildings or structures.

If strictly used for electrical power and lighting equipment bonding (i.e. not as a substitute for an EGS), there shouldn't be an issue (depends on OCPD ratings and bus sizes, i.e. what you refer to as a ground bar).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We typically run a #3/0 for each, one for the power riser and one Telecom riser. These are both connected at a single point at a bus bar adjacent to the service.

gaglibu

Is there a clause in the NEC or TIA 607 stating you shall have separate riser bonding conductors for each grounding system (Telecom and Electrical)? Can I just use one bonding for both?

We typically run a #3/0 for each, one for the power riser and one Telecom riser. These are both connected at a single point at
a bus bar adjacent to the service.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there a clause in the NEC or TIA 607 stating you shall have separate riser bonding conductors for each grounding system (Telecom and Electrical)? Can I just use one bonding for both?

From an NEC perspective it seems to be merely a design issue. Not sure about the other standards.

publicgood

What version 607 is the project under? Typically separate to meet 607.

Status
Not open for further replies.