RMC AL

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have job with a lot of this run overhead. ~20k feet. Do they make 20' RMC aluminum lengths? Not sure that would even get approved.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you find 20' lengths? Any reason why you want to use 20 footers? You may be in luck, 2008 NEC:

344.130 Standard Lengths. The standard length of RMC shall be 3.05 m (10 ft), including an attached coupling, and each end shall be threaded. Longer or shorter lengths with or without coupling and threaded or unthreaded shall be permitted.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’ve seen 20’ rigid but not sure of the metal.

I know one thing for sure and two for certain.
I would not want to bend/thread 20 footers.

It would have to be an extremely rare case of straight long runs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see an advantage. For larger pipe racks with multiple runs it would be impossible to install 20' lengths unless they were all slid in from the end.

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you’re looking to save on labor time I would look into tools and consumables that will make the job easier. Plenty of band saw blades and bandsaws for that matter. A sharp blade cuts faster, and you don’t want guys walking back and forth sharing a bandsaw. Maybe some of those bits that chamfer cut all thread so you can thread nuts easier. Drop in anchor set tools that chuck into a roto hammer, rather than swinging a hammer at a set tool. Lasers, rather than tape measuring everything. Lifts over ladders or staging. 20k’ of rigid is a lot of rigid, so maybe something to move large amounts of it around the job site efficiently, if it’s big stuff it takes two guys to move a stick any real distance I think some sort of rack on wheels would move more material quicker. Anything that reduces fatigue and saves a few seconds will add up on a job that big in my opinion.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you’re looking to save on labor time I would look into tools and consumables that will make the job easier. Plenty of band saw blades and bandsaws for that matter. A sharp blade cuts faster, and you don’t want guys walking back and forth sharing a bandsaw. Maybe some of those bits that chamfer cut all thread so you can thread nuts easier. Drop in anchor set tools that chuck into a roto hammer, rather than swinging a hammer at a set tool. Lasers, rather than tape measuring everything. Lifts over ladders or staging. 20k’ of rigid is a lot of rigid, so maybe something to move large amounts of it around the job site efficiently, if it’s big stuff it takes two guys to move a stick any real distance I think some sort of rack on wheels would move more material quicker. Anything that reduces fatigue and saves a few seconds will add up on a job that big in my opinion.
THanks a lot.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Think about large racks of conduit where the racks are 6' apart. How could you possibly get a 20' length of conduit on the racks without sliding every length in from the end.
Why couldn't you slide it up between any of the racks and onto the rack if there was enough clearance from the rack to the ceiling?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
THanks. What do you mean by the bits that champher.