RMC Couplings

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Seems like when running RGS etc. not many copiling would be required. I know each stick comes with one but I'm trying to think about a COMMON situation within a run where a coupling( that's not part of the conduit) would be needed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seems like when running RGS etc. not many copiling would be required. I know each stick comes with one but I'm trying to think about a COMMON situation within a run where a coupling( that's not part of the conduit) would be needed.
Well, do you have a box of leftovers, or do you find yourself needing to buy extras?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
factory elbows require 2 couplings. If you do field bends you may not be able to turn a bent length into the straight run so you would need 1 additional coupling.

It depends if it is a lot of straight pipe or a lot of bending too. You should buy a few Ericksons to have on the job.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
factory elbows require 2 couplings. If you do field bends you may not be able to turn a bent length into the straight run so you would need 1 additional coupling.

It depends if it is a lot of straight pipe or a lot of bending too. You should buy a few Ericksons to have on the job.
At $1,300 each... not too many ericksons I hope :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At $1,300 each... not too many ericksons I hope :)
I prefer split couplings on RMC. Erickson type (3 peice) couplings are terrible to install. For one they never thread on all of the way unless you deep cut a field thread. I really dislike them and then there's always the ridiculous price.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I prefer split couplings on RMC. Erickson type (3 peice) couplings are terrible to install. For one they never thread on all of the way unless you deep cut a field thread. I really dislike them and then there's always the ridiculous price.
What's the difference between a split coupling and a regular coupling?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So I'd like to estimate as close to actual as possible. My assembly lets me choose prefab or field bend elbows. There should be a guideline for when bends would happen over prefab elbow and vice versa.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So I'd like to estimate as close to actual as possible. My assembly lets me choose prefab or field bend elbows. There should be a guideline for when bends would happen over prefab elbow and vice versa.
If your layout is that complicated, perhaps a 3D drawing like a plumbing diagram would help.

1718672239197.jpeg