RMC & RNC Conduit Maximum Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

flh59

Hi all,

I have a question regarding articles 344 and 352 of the NEC, RMC and RNC respectivley. Both sections refer to the maximum size conduit being 6 inches.

Does this mean that it is against code to use conduits (pipe) larger than 6 inches? I'm planning on precasting stub ups in a concrete foundation and would like to use 8 inch conduits - ether material would suffice, and seek clarification on these articles.

Also, can conduits used in this manner be considered "ducts"

And lastly, regarding miniumn conduit bend radius; unless I'm interpreting this wrong, the code language suggest that table 2 is in regard to field bends only and may not apply to shop bends. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Sorry for all the questions but would appreciate input from the wealth of experience on this board.

Thank you!

flh59

barbeer

Yes- against code to use larger than 6", aside from that, why would you want to? If you are making sleeves thru footings or slabs....I see no problem.

I would stick with the bend radius for anywhere.

flh59

Hi again,

Thanks for the welcome and answers thus far. But I think I'm seeking a little more input - so I'll try again.

I have a panel mounted on a concrete foundation approximately 5 feet from the edge of the foundation. The contractor plans on using cable suitable for direct burial installation and aside from where they plan on running the cable through the foundation, wiring method is direct burial.

Now, the contractor wants to precast conduit stub ups in the foundation to allow routing for the cables and I would like to know the following

1) do these stub ups qualify as conduit raceways and therefore need to comply with either 344 or 352 in terms of maximum size and bend radius
2) are these raceways considered "conduits" or "ducts"
3) Does table 2 refer to maximums for field bends only or does that include production type bends as well.
4) Regarding fill requirements - under note 2 in chapter 9, it mentions that that table 1 only refers to complete systems and is not intended for sections of conduit used to protect exposed wiring from damage. So in my example above, table 2 may not apply - am I correct here?

The reason I'm asking is that our contractor would like to install 8 inch short radius bends for cable access.

Regards flh59

Status
Not open for further replies.