roadway/highway construction electrical inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Has anyone out there ever done roadway/highway construction electrical inspections? I was just curious what is involved and if the NEC governs this type of work.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Has anyone out there ever done roadway/highway construction electrical inspections? I was just curious what is involved and if the NEC governs this type of work.
governments almost always exempt themselves from being subject to the rules required of us lesser beings.

they generally have their own rules that have to be followed though.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
WA state follows the NEC, and have their own standards, materials testing lab, and inspectors. Traffic signal equipment, controllers, heads, etc are not listed. We have some rules in our state code to allow for that. I used to write articles for a traffic signal magazine, most states are similar to us. And a city or county may have their own rules.
Get the codes and standards for the area you are Interested in.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
governments almost always exempt themselves from being subject to the rules required of us lesser beings.

they generally have their own rules that have to be followed though.
Some years ago I was working on an article for EC&M and surveyed 12 agencies nation wide. 10 of the 12 used the NEC. In WA, where I am, most do, with changes for the unique nature of traffic signals and lightning. Most will require inspections

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
You'll need to check with the state you're in or intrested in working in.

Here in NJ all projects are done to the current NEC as well as agency specific standards. Sometimes a project will require a typical inspection by the state or local ahj if a building is included as part of the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.