ROC is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Great-- it looks like they listened to my comment I see George backed me up-- sorry I ddin't do more on the comment stage.

7-12 Log #287 NEC-P07 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(338.10(B)(4)(b))

Submitter: Dennis Alwon, Alwon Electric Inc.

Comment on Proposal No: 7-59

Recommendation: Add Exception as follows:
(b) Exterior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, service entrance cable used for feeders or branch circuits, where installed as exterior wiring, shall be installed in accordance with Part I of Article 225. The cable shall be supported in accordance with 334.30. Type USE cable installed as underground feeder and branch circuit cable shall comply with Part II of Article 340.

Exception: Type USE installed as underground feeders shall not be restricted by 340.80.

Substantiation: The problem is that I don’t believe the board read my proposal correctly. Here is your comment “The submitter is referring to single conductor USE per Table 310.104(A), whereas 338.10(B)(4)(b) is referring to a USE cable assembly with a plastic covering as defined in 338.2. Single conductor USE is not limited to the ampacity in 340.80.”
338.2 does not define USE cable only as an assembly with a plastic covering as you state. It states with or without an overall covering so single conductor, triplex or quadruplex cable is relevant to this article.

The last sentence states that USE cable shall comply with Part II of article 340. USE cable can be a triplex, quad or individual cable and as written art. 340.80 states that UF shall be 60C. Thus if USE must follow part II of 340 then it must be rated at 60C when used as a feeder or branch circuit. I don’t believe this is the intent but it is how it reads. Thus with the words “excluding 340.80” USE cable would not be limited to 60C as intended. I have shown this proposal to many respected members of the electrical community and they all agreed that the board did not read the proposal or the section correctly.

I do not understand how your comment about this section only pertains to jacketed cable as it clearly states USE.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Add informational note to read as follows:
Informational Note. Single conductor Type USE and multi rated USE conductors are not subject to the ampacity limitations of Part II of Article 340. Requirements for single conductor USE are in Table 310.104(A).
Panel Statement: CMP-7 does not accept adding an exception to 338.10(B)(4)(b). Instead, CMP-7 adds an informational note for clarity.
Number Eligible to Vote: 14
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 14

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks... It wasn't a big change but a clarification. I don't believe anyone ever interpreted it the other way but they certainly could have.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
George you have been very busy with the comment stage but they won't give much on 310.15 for you.. I again am sorry I didn't spend more time on the comment stage-- I even gave up on my own rejected proposals-for the most part anyway....

Good work George

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Seemed downright personal on the 310.15 thing, didn't it? :lol:

I'm four for eighteen, I think I'll sit the next round out. :happyno:

Edit to add: This is a satisfying statement to read from a CMP member regarding 310.15(B)(7), however:

Comment on Affirmative:
KENT, G.: Although deletion is the proper action but does not appear to have the support of the committee, this option at least offers some clarity to the wording.

There's a believer in their midst... :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.