Romex above ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarroll

While inspecting a suspended ceiling today, I noticed some romex hanging below bat insulation. The EC says his wiring in the attic is all romex above the insulation & he is going to junction the romex to MC cable on the bottoms of the trusses. Is the romex considered to be protected per 334.10(3)? Or is it a violation of 334.12(A)1? Thanks for your help. Ron

ryan_618

Re: Romex above ceiling

Where is the 15 minute flash rating required by 334.10(3)? I don't think he has one.

In my opinion, the issue regarding "open runs" in a suspended ceiling is an issue of flame spread, not physical protection. Again, this is just my opinion.

mc5w

In a single family dwelling exposed romex above a suspended ceiling is allowed.

What gets me is that a strict reading of NEC 334 whatever says that I can no longer use NMC, UF, or SE cable exposed in a barn but 547.5(A) says that I can use UF and SE cables. Who the heck is going to use type X drywall in a barn or chicken coop?

Also, I can still use open wiring on insulators in a factory and have rubber cords and bus drop cables hanging off of busway plugs. However, type NM, UF, or SE cable is now suppoed to be behind type X drywall. Most factories have a fire sprinkler system so romex that is run exposed where out of reach and in EMT where within reach is not a hazard by a long shot.

I am starting to think that Code making panel #7 must have a few screws loose.

pierre

Mc5W

Before you get too crazy about "loose screws" and whatnot, you should read some of the substantiations provided in the ROPs and ROCs. Also be aware that the CMPs also have access to reports we do not see and those reports usually have great weight in their desision making. So sometimes we think they have their heads screwed on backwards, and they may, but... there may be underlying reasons we are not aware of that influence their decisions.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by pierre:
but... there may be underlying reasons we are not aware of that influence their decisions.
"Dude, that's a good proposal."
"Yeah, man."
"Dude - we should make a bong out of it."
"Shibby."

:p

john m. caloggero

It is important to understand the definition of "Exposed (as it applies to wiring methods)". I assume you are using the 2005 NEC and the NM cable is not in a one, two, or multifamily dwelling. Type NM cable is not allowed in the attic above the suspended ceiling, since by definition it is exposed! Looks like it is a violation of 334.12(A)(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.