romex coil dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Has anyone tried one of these for the dispensing of romex?

What does everyone use/recommend?

I was thinking about making one out of a modified childrens "sit N spin"

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used a different style all my career. When I was doing many homes I would buy the reels rather than coils. They are heavier but easy to set up and run with.

JJWalecka

I have used a different style all my career. When I was doing many homes I would buy the reels rather than coils. They are heavier but easy to set up and run with.

I agree.

The company I work for uses coils a lot.

Does the romex get tangled, with the model type I pictured

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have this and the romex doesn't get tangled. I think I paid about $80 or $100 about 4 years ago.
I have made (3) platforms that i can stack 3 on top of the first of then i can pull (4) romexes at the same time. They will dispense MC cable and flex conduit as well.

Rack-A-Tier-RAK18455-23839.jpg

John120/240

1000 foot reels when it fits the situation, are the way to go. The spooler that hangs on a stud

are handy for 250 foot coils. You can make your own out of a round piece of plywood, wire rope,

or chain to hang from & wood dowels or allthread. You would hang this setup from a cieling

joist.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I have several different types and a couple I made but the one I like best is called "wire wheel", double free standing so much more more convenient to store in truck, one size I keep 12/2 and 14/2, the bigger one I keep 12/3 and 14/3. Don't have to find a place to hang in a finished house. I bought them from an ad in trade magazine.

I bought them long enough ago that NM came in boxes and they worked great. When NM started being packed in plastic like it is now they don't work as good, sometimes hang up especially new roll. But still my favorite.

google wire wheel 415d

Last edited:

JJWalecka

I have several different types and a couple I made but the one I like best is called "wire wheel", double free standing so much more more convenient to store in truck, one size I keep 12/2 and 14/2, the bigger one I keep 12/3 and 14/3. Don't have to find a place to hang in a finished house. I bought them from an ad in trade magazine.

I bought them long enough ago that NM came in boxes and they worked great. When NM started being packed in plastic like it is now they don't work as good, sometimes hang up especially new roll. But still my favorite.

google wire wheel 415d

Thanks for the feedback

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I've always made my own out of 2/4's when using coils of NM.

When using 1000 foot rolls on new construction, I like to set them up in the basement and drill small holes in the floor(s) above to pull up through. That keeps the rolls out of the way, and out of sight also.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Thousand foot rolls I rig a wheelchair, big wheels are good for stairs and obstructions, roll it into each room as I go. Take out the seat and fasten rigid couplings to arms for pipe to run thru. Also easier to bring to and from truck, less rewinding, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.